Skip the salad bar and DIY your way to my all-time favorite recipe for Kale Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette.
Last week, Leftover Halloween Candy Blondies got the best of me. But I promised today’s recipe would star nutrient-packed leafy greens. And that it does. It also happens to star bacon, and more specifically, warm bacon vinaigrette. Leave it to me to transform kale—thou holiest of all trendy superfoods—into a salad with hot bacon drippings as a sidekick.
There’s just something about a warm bacon vinaigrette that makes people weak in the knees. It also relaxes uptight leafy greens just to the point where they bend at the bite while retaining their crunch.
This dressing features a quick mix of warm, rendered bacon fat with minced shallots, tangy apple cider vinegar and a dollop of Dijon. And then it’s time to let that salad freak flag fly, as you toss in the likes of toasted nuts, crispy chickpeas (my fave!) shredded parmesan or dried cranberries—all ready for a bacon bath. I’ll leave you with that thought. A bacon bath.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
- 1 1/2 lbs kale, washed and thoroughly dried
- 1/3 cup toasted nuts (such as walnuts, pecans or almonds)
- 1/3 cup crispy chickpeas
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Strip the leaves from the stems of the kale, and then roll up the leaves and chiffonade them into thin strips. Place the kale in a large bowl then add the toasted nuts, crispy chickpeas and Parmesan.
- Cook the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium heat, reserving all drippings and leaving all crunchy bits in the pan. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Return the sauté pan over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of the reserved bacon drippings back to the pan. (If you don't have 3 tablespoons of drippings, use what you have plus some olive oil.) Add the shallots and sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in the vinegar, mustard and brown sugar, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Remove the vinaigrette from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Chop up the reserved bacon and add it to the bowl with the kale and nuts. Toss the kale with the warm dressing and serve immediately.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.