Add a pop of crunchy protein to snacks, soups, salads and more with a quick-fix recipe for Crispy Chickpeas made in an air fryer or roasted in the oven.
What’s the difference between garbanzos and chickpeas?
I found myself asking the same question as I was shopping for this recipe at my local grocery store. And the answer is… nothing! Garbanzos and chickpeas are the same thing. The only difference comes down to the origin of each ingredient name. “Garbanzo” is the Spanish name, while “chickpea” is the English name. No matter what you call them, one thing is certain: They’re the best in crispy form!
Can You Make Roasted Chickpeas from Canned Chickpeas?
Absolutely yes! My recipe utilizes canned chickpeas, which are rinsed and drained prior to heading into either the air fryer or the oven.
One of the best parts of making crispy chickpeas is that you can mix up any combination of dried spices and seasonings to customize your crunchy snack, from taco seasoning to simple salt and pepper.
What do you use crispy chickpeas on?
My three favorite ways to enjoy crispy chickpeas are simply as a snack (it’s impossible to eat just one handful!), as a salad topping (who needs croutons when you have the crunch of crispy chickpeas?) or as a soup topping.
They stole the show in one of my all-time favorite salad recipes, Kale Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette. The combination of leafy greens, crispy bacon, shredded Parmesan and crispy chickpeas makes this salad a guaranteed dinner winner!Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can chickpeas
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
In an air fryer:
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then add them to a large bowl.
- Drizzle the chickpeas with the oil, then toss to combine. Sprinkle with all of the seasonings and toss well.
- Arrange the chickpeas in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook them for 12 to 14 minutes, shaking once halfway through, until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the chickpeas from the air fryer and serve.
In an oven:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then spread them on paper towels and pat well to dry.
- Add the chickpeas to a bowl then drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings. Toss well to combine.
- Arrange the chickpeas in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake them for 45 minutes then toss and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes until crispy.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and serve.