Whip up a DIY take on a snack food favorite with a recipe for Homemade Chex Mix that can be made in a slow cooker or in the oven.
When it comes to snack foods, nothing beats good ol’ Chex Mix. It’s salty, crunchy, savory and just so dang addicting. Add a Diet Coke to the lineup and someone get me my spandex pants because in the words of Miley Cyrus,”I can’t stop, and I won’t stop.”
This recipe for Homemade Chex Mix just. changed. everything.
When it comes to making this snack from scratch, there’s two ways to go about it: toss it into a slow cooker or bake it in the oven.
I’ve provided instructions for both methods, but I have a very clear favorite…
If crunchy is your goal, then the oven is your friend! I’ve made this recipe both ways, and while the slow cooker is convenient, it just doesn’t result in the characteristic crunch that Chex Mix should have.
So choose your method then raid your pantry because this recipe is merely a template for you to sub in whatever cereals, pretzels and nuts you have on hand. Mix and match to your heart’s desire!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 8 cups Chex cereal
- 2 cups Cheerios cereal
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine Chex cereal, Cheerios cereal, pretzels, walnuts and peanuts in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the smoked paprika, garlic powder, Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, Worcestershire sauce and pepper.
- Pour the spice mix over the dry ingredients and toss to evenly coat.
To cook in a slow cooker:
- Transfer the mixture into a slow cooker and turn it to LOW. Cover the slow cooker and cook the mixture for 3 hours, removing the lid every 45 minutes to gently stir the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture from the slow cooker onto a baking sheet. Let it cool completely then serve.
To bake in an oven:
- Preheat the oven 250°F.
- Transfer the Chex Mix onto two baking sheets, spreading it into an even layer.
- Bake the Chex Mix for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove it from the oven and let it cool completely then serve.
- Homemade Chex Mix can be made up to 1 week in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.