Nothing says “let’s get our party on” quite like a slice of good ol’ cookie cake. And while I’m a longtime fan of the classic chocolate chip cookie dough crust topped with
too much just enough frosting, I decided it was about time we elevate our cookie cake game with my latest (frosting-less) favorite: Strawberry Shortbread Cookie Cake.
The setup on this one is simple: A buttery shortbread cookie crust is baked until golden then topped with waves of homemade whipped cream. A kiwi rose, strawberry slice petals and a shower of chocolate chip thorns transforms the classic cookie cake into a show-stopping edible centerpiece.
Preheat your oven for this artistic update on a dessert favorite and then find inspiration for more simple sweets with 25 classic and creative cookie recipes.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed and softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 small kiwi, cut into thin slices
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- An 11- to 13-inch nonstick pizza pan
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and brown sugar. Add the cubed butter then use your fingers to thoroughly work it into the flour mixture until the mixture is the consistency of wet sand. (This may take up to 5 minutes.) Press the mixture firmly in an even layer into the pizza pan then bake the shortbread cookie cake for 10 to 12 minutes until it's pale golden.
- Remove the shortbread cookie cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely in the pan. While the cookie cools, prepare the toppings.
- Add the heavy cream, sour cream, sugar and vanilla extract to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on medium-high speed until stiff peeks form.
- Once the cookie cake has cooled completely, invert it onto a serving plate. Spread the whipped cream on top of the cookie cake in an even layer, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges, and then arrange the kiwi slices in the center to form a flower. Arrange the strawberries around the kiwi then sprinkle on the chocolate chips. Slice and serve immediately.
- The shortbread crust can be prepared one day in advance and stored, covered securely with plastic wrap, at room temperature until you're ready to top it with the whipped cream, fruit and chocolate chips.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not republish this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.