My go-to banana bread recipe has seen nearly every mix-in, topping and swirl you can imagine, from peanut butter chips to zucchini and pumpkin to streusel. But this recipe marks a first in that the bananas are forced to canoodle with a fellow fruit. And the result is an extra-moist quick bread studded with juicy apples, plenty of cinnamon and the quintessential crunchy sugar topping.
Banana bread purists may be aghast at the addition of diced apples, but trust me when I tell you that those pops of juicy tang (courtesy of Granny Smith’s finest fruit) will tickle your taste buds bite after bite.
And never let the abundance of overripe bananas stump you again! Find inspiration for more banana-filled treats with recipes for The Best Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, Banana Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce and Banana Chocolate Wonton Poppers.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe, darkly speckled bananas
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups small diced (peeled) Granny Smith apples
- 2 Tablespoons sanding sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch loaf pan with parchment paper then grease the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour with the sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set the bowl aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the diced apples with 1 Tablespoon flour, tossing until they’re thoroughly coated. Fold in the diced apples then pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the top liberally with sanding sugar (optional).
- Bake the bread for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring the loaf to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe adapted from Banana Bread with Streusel Topping.