Skip the store-bought sauces and whip up a fast and fresh recipe for the best basil pesto perfect for serving with your favorite noodles.
I first shared this recipe for basil pesto way back in 2009. And after recently featuring it in my Instagram Stories, I decided it was about time this ol’ post got a makeover. The recipe is still the tried and true classic. But the photos have gotten some much needed nipping and tucking. (My Nikon and I have come a long way in the past 8 years!)
Basil pesto is one of my earliest childhood food memories, all thanks to my mom Noni, who made this recipe a staple in our home decades ago. The sauce is rich in flavor (and how about that color!), yet it stars seemingly few ingredients, allowing the fresh basil to take on the starring role.
Its garlicky without being overwhelming, and it leaves the door wide open for customizations when it comes to nuts. Pine nuts are, of course, the most traditional option. But I’ve followed this exact recipe and substituted in nearly every nut variety with success, from pistachios and walnuts to almonds and even as one reader noted below, macadamia nuts.
And speaking of versatility, this basil pesto can be used in many a ways beyond a bowl of noodles. Try stirring a tablespoon or two into mayonnaise for a flavor-packed sandwich spread or French fry dip, or use it as the base for a seriously herbacious salad dressing.
No matter what way you blend it or use it, one thing is certain: Homemade basil pesto beats the store-bought stuff every time. And if you’re staring down any leftovers, pour it into an ice cube tray then freeze it. Pesto craving? POp out a cube, stir it into piping hot pasta and devour!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed and dried thoroughly
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a food processor or blender, combine the basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, garlic, toasted pine nuts, kosher salt and pepper. Pulse the ingredients together until well blended.
- While the food processor or blender is running, drizzle in the olive oil and continue blending, scraping down the sides as needed, until the pesto is puréed. Taste and season it with salt and pepper then serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.