Whip up a 20-minute meal in-a-bowl with a light and refreshing recipe for Chinese Chicken Pasta Salad tossed with a quick-fix sesame dressing.
My mom Noni’s Chinese Chicken Salad is legendary in our family. It was a weeknight favorite when my siblings and I were growing up and always a welcome sight on the dinner table.
It starred crisp Romaine lettuce, shredded rotisserie chicken, a homemade sesame dressing, and our fave addition: crispy rice noodles. They added a touch of crunch and were always fun to snack on pre-dinner.
I’ve recreated my mom’s iconic salad, and included my boys’ favorite addition: pasta!
Chinese Chicken Pasta Salad stars all the best flavors and textures, from crisp cucumbers and juicy Mandarin oranges to tender chicken and crunchy lo mein noodles.
While store-bought sesame dressings are great in a pinch, this homemade spin makes this pasta salad a year-round favorite. It’s just four simple ingredients, but each of which pack a flavor punch.
Put it all together and you have yourself a tried-and-tested Chinese Chicken Pasta Salad recipe that comes together in minutes, can be prepped in advance and is a guaranteed winner for taste-testers of all ages.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the pasta salad:
- 8 oz. uncooked pasta, such as bowtie or rotini
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken or chopped chicken breasts
- 2 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup diced cucumbers
- 1 cup Mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup crispy chow mein noodles
For the dressing:
- 3 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Make the pasta salad:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook it until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and add it to a large bowl.
- To the bowl, add the chicken, Romaine lettuce, red cabbage, cucumbers, Mandarin oranges and chow mein noodles.
Make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- While whisking, stream in the olive oil until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine then serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.