We’ve covered just about every variety of banana bread around here, including dozens of mix-ins from zucchini and pumpkin to peanut butter and blueberries. And while a certain chocolate-swirled version has proven popular, never has cocoa taken the center stage. But that’s all about to change with this extra-moist Chocolate Banana Bread studded with chocolate chips.
While it make look like a chocolate-lovers paradise (and indeed it is!), the subtle hint of cocoa knows to play the supporting role to overripe, darkly speckled bananas. And that means the true banana flavor still shines through, even with all of those chocolate chips!
This recipe includes a dollop of sour cream, which seals in the moisture and lends just a touch of tang to offset the sweetness. Not a sour cream enthusiast? It can be easily substituted for any type of yogurt to achieve the same consistency and flavor highlights.
And we all know the best part of any banana bread is the chance for endless mix-ins. I’ve kept this recipe simple with semisweet chocolate chips, but you can use any variety of chocolate or even a combination of chocolate chips and nuts for added toastiness and crunch.
Slice into this beauty for a breakfast treat or serve it for dessert with a heaping dollop of my favorite Secret Ingredient Whipped Cream. And if you’ve made it this far but are still staring at bananas that haven’t quite hit their prime, have no fear! Check out my simple trick for how to ripen bananas in 15 minutes.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch loaf pan with parchment paper leaving an overhang on the two longer sides. Grease the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla extract, vegetable oil and sour cream.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined then stir in the chocolate chips. Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan then sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top of the loaf.
- Bake the bread for 50 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before using the parchment paper overhangs to lift the loaf out of the pan and onto a rack to cool completely.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe inspired by Joy of Baking.