Beer in waffles? Has this lady lost her mind?
I know what you’re thinking, but trust me on this one. You see, it all comes down to carbonation.
Carbonation aerates a batter. An aerated batter is a lighter batter. A lighter batter results in fluffier waffles. Fluffier waffles make for happier eaters. Happier eaters are … happy … er … people. You get the picture.
Today’s carbonated beverage of choice is a good ol’ Guinness beer. Because it just wouldn’t be St. Patrick’s Day without a taste of the iconic, rich, frothy suds … and perhaps a Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Pancake or two.
And it just so happens that Guinness beer pairs beautifully with chocolate, thus the swap of maple syrup for chocolate syrup. Finish it all off with a touch of green (shout-out to the chopped pistachios) and your St. Patrick’s Day celebrations just got a whole lot sweeter.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup Guinness beer
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate syrup, for serving
- Chopped pistachios, for serving
- Waffle iron
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan set over low heat. Once the butter has melted, stir in the milk and beer and cook just until the mixture is warm.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract then slowly pour the warm beer mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly until fully combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients then slowly pour the beer-egg mixture into the well, whisking until all dry ingredients have been incorporated and only a few lumps remain.
- Preheat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions and lightly grease it with cooking spray. Pour a portion of the batter into the heated waffle iron and cook to desired doneness. Serve the waffles topped with chocolate sauce and chopped pistachios.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe adapted from Serious Eats.
Just made these for dinner and they were delicious! My husband laughed when I told him I was putting beer in our waffles, but then he couldn’t get enough of them. Dinner winner!
These are FANTASTIC! My favorite waffle recipe so far. Thank you!
Awesome! So glad you enjoyed the recipe, Ava!
Guinness Stout or Guinness Draught? Also, have you tried these with any other dark beers?
Hi Jim – Guinness Stout! And no, I haven’t tried them with any other beers but let me know if you do try it!
Beautiful photos Kelly! They look delicious! I’m all about those pistachios sprinkled over the top – pistachios are the best!
These waffles look incredible!
Thanks so much, Charmaine!
I love to cook with beer, add carbonation and flavor. Love the idea of this Guiness waffles. Great pictures by the way
Thanks so much, Azu!
I saw yes to beer in waffles! These look fantastic! Totally need to try these for the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.
Awesome, Jessica! Enjoy every bite!
These are some gorgeous waffles!! They sound amazing as well, especially with that sauce – yum! I seriously need a waffle iron…
Yes please to boozy and chocolate waffles, love the pistachio topper!
Boozy chocolate waffles? Yeah, I love it! :)
I like beer and I like waffles, so sign. me. up. Also, these just might be the most beautiful waffles I’ve ever seen!
These are some beautiful looking waffles, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day! I love the green pistachios on top!
Thanks so much, Danae!
These waffles are so fun!!
These look amazing!!! I just bought a pack of Guinness for some cupcakes I am making this weekend and was wondering what to do with the rest since I don’t drink beer at all. Now I know!! It’s happening this weekend. Thank you for the recipe :)
This is so beautiful and creative! Great idea. Sharing with my FB peeps for sure. Thanks Kelly!
Thanks so much, Katie!
honestly this is INSANE, but your pictures look so incredible I kinda sorta totally need to try this
Go for it, Christine! I’m not even a beer drinker and these waffles were irresistible!
oo Kelly! Those are some beautiful waffles! I need to get one of those Waffle irons too! Love the idea of adding guinness to them!
Thanks so much, Angie! Enjoy :)