Meet Nik Sharma, founder of A Brown Table blog, as well as a two-time cookbook author and contributor to The New York Times, The San Francisco Chronicle and Serious …
Quick and Easy Skillet Brownie
- 8 Comments
Serve up a crowd-friendly sweet with the ultimate recipe for a Quick and Easy Skillet Brownie that’s perfect for topping with your choice of ice cream.
Two words: skillet brownie.
Of course we need a skillet brownie to be capable of supporting a scoop or three of your ice cream of choice, but beyond the perfect flavor and texture, it has loads to offer:
- Pantry Perfection: It’s made with just a few pantry and fridge staples. Nothing fancy about this one. Just good ol’ sugar, butter, eggs and cocoa powder. (OK, and some chocolate chips or chunks!)
- Pick Your Pan: Just because it’s called a “skillet brownie” doesn’t mean you necessarily have to bake it up in a skillet, which leads me to…
What if I Don’t Have a Skillet?
I’m so glad you asked! This classic brownie recipe can be baked in your pan (or pans) of choice, including:
- A 10-inch cast-iron skillet
- An 8-inch square baking pan (lined with parchment paper)
- A 9-inch square baking pan (lined with parchment paper)
- A muffin pan
- Several smaller skillets, ramekins or a mini muffin pan
How Long Do You Bake a Skillet Brownie?
It all comes down to the height of your skillet and/or if you’re using one of the pan variations listed above. For this recipe, which features a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, bake the brownie for 30 to 34 minutes.
Prefer a fudgier brownie with an ooey-gooey center? Simply underbake your brownie by aiming for around 28 minutes.
What Do You Serve on Top?
Whatever strikes your fancy! You can keep it simple and just slice this beauty into wedges to serve with an ice-cold class of milk, or you can dress her up with a confectioners’ sugar shower.
Perhaps the real winning topping is endless scoops of whatever flavor ice cream you’ve currently got stashed in your freezer. Vanilla isn’t the only option! Strawberry, peanut butter and caramel ice cream would all be great accompaniments.
What’s the Best Skillet Cookie Recipe?
For all those who are on Team Cookie rather than Team Brownie, allow me to direct you to my recipe for The Ultimate Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Quick and Easy Skillet Brownie
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing skillet
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temp
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips, chunks or nuts, plus more for topping
- Ice cream or confectioners' sugar, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch skillet with butter.
In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
Add the eggs one at a time, whisking between each addition.
Fold in the flour and chocolate chips just until the flour is combined.
Transfer the batter into the greased skillet, smoothing it into an even layer. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 30 to 34 minutes until the center is just set.
Remove the skillet from the oven, then top the brownie with ice cream and serve immediately.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
FOLLOW JUST A TASTE ON INSTAGRAM and show us what you’re cooking in your kitchen! Use the hashtag