Skip the baking sheets and grab your skillet for a crowd-friendly recipe for The Ultimate Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie.
Skillet cookie, cookie sundae, pizookie—no matter what you call it, one thing is certain: warm cookie + ice cream = dessert perfection!
It’s hard to beat that view below. The vanilla bean ice cream slowly melting into every nook and cranny of melted chocolate, chewy cookie dough and crunchy sea salt.
Don’t forget that last part! The addition of the sea salt is what takes this family favorite skillet chocolate chip cookie from amazing to oh-so-spectacular.
I’ve opted for chopped semisweet chocolate in this variation, but you can let your imagination run wild when it comes to chocolate varieties. I love a combo of semisweet and dark chocolate chunks so you get that duo of cacao flavors.
Chocolate aside, more is more when it comes to mix-ins. Opt for one cup (plus a bit more for topping) of any of the below:
- Chopped nuts, such as pecans or macadamia nuts
- Crushed pretzels
- Crispy cereal
- Crushed potato chips (trust me!)
All of the above add a touch of crunch to your cookie but are totally optional.
The real beauty behind this 5-star dessert is that it can be prepped ahead of time. Mix up your dough, get it into a greased skillet, then pop it into the fridge.
About 45 minutes before you want to serve it, pop the skillet into the oven while you and your buddies enjoy dinner and drinks.
Remove it from the oven, grab your ice cream of choice (hello, vanilla bean!) then skip the plates and just grab the spoons for a crowd-friendly cookie sundae that’s the ultimate marriage of warm, chewy cookie and ice cream.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp, plus more for greasing skillet
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temp
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet with butter.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set the bowl aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter with the sugar and light brown sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until mixed in, then add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture into the stand mixer and mix just until the dough comes together then beat in the chocolate until combined.
- Scrape the dough into the skillet, then sprinkle it with the sea salt.
- Bake the cookie for 30 to 35 minutes until it’s barely cooked in the center.
- Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving topped with ice cream (optional).
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.