Add a fizzy pop to your beverage lineup with a refreshing recipe for a Sparkling Strawberry Cocktail that can also be a mocktail.
The countdown to Mother’s Day is on! And to myself (and perhaps many other moms out there), that means it’s time to sit back, relax… and bring on the booze. Because nothing says “Happy Mother’s Day” quite like a Sparkling Strawberry Cocktail starring a not-so-secret ingredient.
This fizzy, fresh cocktail starts off with a homemade simple syrup (a.k.a. sugar and water) that’s flavored with fresh thyme. Yes, vodka, fruit and herbs make for one seriously spectacular sip.
The great news is that this recipe can also be easily transformed into a mocktail (for the kiddos or the preggers!). Simply omit the vodka and top off each glass with soda water, or my personal fave, lemon-lime soda.
While strawberries and thyme are a great combination, feel free to swap in blackberries, blueberries or raspberries (or a combo of a few) to amp up the fruit flavor. Cheers to moms, soon-to-be moms and hopeful moms everywhere!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the thyme simple syrup:
- 4 (3-inch) sprigs thyme
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
For the cocktail:
- 12 strawberries (stems removed), divided
- 8 ounces thyme simple syrup
- 4 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 6 ounces vodka
- Club soda
Special Equipment: Cocktail shaker and muddler
Make the simple syrup:
- In a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring the thyme, water and sugar to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the simple syrup from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature. (Alternately, transfer the simple syrup to a sealable container and refrigerate it until ready to use.)
Make the cocktail:
- In a pint glass or cocktail shaker, muddle 3 strawberries with ice. Add 1 ounce lemon juice, 1.5 ounces vodka and 2 ounces prepared thyme simple syrup.
- Fill the glass with ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Pour the cocktail into a clean glass and add ice. Top it with club soda. Repeat to make three additional cocktails. Serve immediately.
- To make this cocktail into a mocktail, omit the vodka and top off the beverages with additional club soda or lemon-lime soda.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.