Skip the bakery case and preheat your oven for a fast and fresh recipe for Blackberry Cream Cheese Pastries.
Mother’s Day is upon us, and that means it’s time to give moms everywhere what they really want: a nice, long, uninterrupted nap followed by a massage followed by a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc and a second nap, culminating with a manicure and pedicure, and then 12 straight hours of sleep.
What? Maybe that’s just me?
With a 2-year-old and a 1-year-old, sleep is scarce in our house, but hey, a momma can dream (while still awake)!
If I’m not getting uninterrupted sleep for Mother’s Day, then I will absolutely settle for some warm-from-the-oven Blackberry Cream Cheese Pastries.
Just look at those twisted coils of buttery dough. They make look fancy, but if you can tie your shoe, you can make these fruit and cream danish.
Puff pastry has taken on a variety of shapes around here, so I thought it was time we strayed from the squares, skipped the circles and popped on by the pinwheels. Don’t get me wrong, I love them all, but these twisted roses are my new go-to pastry shape.
What mom wouldn’t love a tray of warm puff pastry roses filled with vanilla cream cheese and juicy blackberries? Best of all, they’re ready in 30 minutes or less, which means mom can at least sneak in a quick power nap before snacking on the ultimate breakfast treat.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temp
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour, for dusting work surface
- 1 (17.3-oz.) package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 large egg, whisked with 1 Tablespoon water
- Sanding sugar, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat baking mats.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese, sugar, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
- Lightly flour your work surface then unfold the pastry sheets and roll each into a 9x11-inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle lengthwise into 12 strips.
- Pinch two strips together to form one longer strip then twist each side in opposite directions.
- Flatter one end of the strip slightly then wind the twisted strip around the flattened base into a circle. (See photos above.)
- Transfer the pastries onto the prepared baking sheets then spoon a portion of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each pastry.
- Top the cream cheese with four or five blackberries then brush all of the pastry edges with the egg wash and sprinkle them with the sanding sugar (optional).
- Bake the pastries for 15 to 18 minutes or until they are golden brown and puffed. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.