Up your brunch game with this fast and fresh recipe for Fruit and Cream Cheese Breakfast Pastries topped with your choice of fruit.
Store-bought puff pastry has starred in many a versatile creation around these parts, from baked eggs and sticky buns to tarts and turnovers. But when it comes to puff pastry’s role in the early a.m., it absolutely steals the show when baked into quick and easy breakfast pastries topped with tangy cream cheese filling and piled high with the season’s freshest fruits.
The real beauty of these bite size snacks is that they’re completely compatible 365 days a year with a wide range of fruit toppings. Opt for plump pomegranate seeds in the winter, hearty rhubarb in the spring, juicy berries in the summer, or crisp apples and pears in the fall. Best of all, they’ll be on your breakfast table in 30 minutes or less.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Keep the pastry party rockin’ with more breakfast pastry recipes perfect for any size crowd.
5-Ingredient Strawberry Breakfast Pastries: Get the Recipe
Blueberry Cream Cheese Pastries: Get the Recipe
Easy Cream Cheese Danish: Get the Recipe
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (17.3-oz.) package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 1 1/2 cups fruit (See Kelly’s Note)
- 1 large egg
- Sanding sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese with the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheets onto a lightly floured work surface. Lightly roll the pastry with a rolling pin to seal the perforations. Using a 4-inch round cookie cutter (or glass), cut out four circles from each sheet of puff pastry.
- Transfer four pastry circles onto each baking sheet, spacing the circles about 2 inches apart. Lightly score a circular border 1/4-inch from the edges then prick the centers of each pastry with a fork. Spread a portion of the cream cheese mixture inside the border of each pastry then top the cream cheese with fruit.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush the edges of the pastries with the egg wash then sprinkle them with the sanding sugar (optional). Bake the pastries for 15 to 18 minutes or until they’re golden and puffed.
- Remove the pastries from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Any type of fruit will work for these breakfast pastries. Opt for your favorite flavors or whatever is in season, such as strawberries, raspberries, peaches, plums, apples or pears.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.