Transform store-bought pie dough into a dessert stunner with this fast and versatile recipe for Simple Strawberry Slab Pie.
Simple? With all those fancy flowers and fluted edges? You bet! Because here’s the secret to the easiest-ever Strawberry Slab Pie…
It’s made with store-bought pie dough! As in, there’s no measuring, mixing, kneading, or praying required to get that golden brown crust and juicy fruit filling to play nice together.
Sure, you could go the homemade pie crust route (ie. my go-to Sour Cream Pie Dough). But why spend all the effort when unrolling a few sheets of the refrigerated stuff will have you well on your way to serving up this beauty in a fraction of the time (not to mention, way less mess!).
Now that we’ve cleared that up, let’s move on to the filling. This isn’t so much a recipe for strawberry pie filling as it is a recipe template. And we all know how I feel about berry-filled desserts that come with recipe templates. (Looking at you, Easy Mix-and-Match Fruit Crumble!).
While sliced strawberries certainly fit the bill for this recipe, there’s no one stopping you from letting your Fruit Freak Flag fly. So get down with your crazy fruit combo self.
Blackberries and pineapple? Sure! (I’ve tried this. It’s in-sane.) Apricots and peaches? Why not! Apples and raisins? Fire away!
Bottom line: This Simple Strawberry Slab Pie is for those of us who want to make a seriously kick-butt dessert that looks as great as it tastes … but we still need to have time to be sipping our Sauvignon Blanc and watching gratuitous amounts of the Real Housewives of Literally Anywhere.
So grab the pie dough from the fridge. Scrounge together whatever fruit is in season. And give yourself a big ol’ pat on the back. Because you are about to knock everyone’s socks off with this seriously sweet showstopper, and you never even broke a sweat. #winning
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- All-purpose flour
- 2 (14.1-oz.) boxes store-bought pie crust (4 circular pie crusts total)
- 3 pounds strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- Crystal sanding sugar, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly flour your work surface then stack two of the circular-shaped pie crusts on top of one another and roll them into a rectangle measuring 12x17 inches. Transfer the dough into a 10x15-inch jelly roll pan, leaving the edges untrimmed.
- In a large bowl, stir together the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest. Transfer the strawberries into the prepared pie crust.
- Lightly flour your work surface again then use various cookie cutters to cut out shapes from the two remaining pie crusts. (Scraps can be re-rolled.) Arrange the shapes atop the strawberries in a single layer.
- Using your fingers, crimp the pie crust around the edges.
- Whisk the egg then brush it all over the top and sides of the pie. Top the pie crust with sanding sugar (optional).
- Bake the pie for 28 to 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for 30 to 40 minutes until the juices have set. Slice and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.