Keep it simple with a four-ingredient recipe for Easy Chocolate Wonton Pillows that are the ultimate crunchy, chocolatey dessert.
Whether you’re celebrating with a special someone or flying solo this Valentine’s Day, one thing is certain: Chocolate is a must. And I’ve got just the recipe to satisfy that sweet tooth without turning on the oven.
Chocolate Wonton Pillows. Don’t they sound like a dream?
Imagine warm, crunchy wontons filled with your choice of chocolate that melts to the perfect gooey consistency after a quick plunge into hot oil.
A final powdered sugar shower gives these a beignet-esque charm, sans the stress and prep of making doughnut dough. (Although, if you’re going to go that route, easy doughnut holes is the way to go!)
Are you a deep-frying fiend or scared of bringing the oil to a boil? Put those fears to rest with my essential deep-frying do’s and don’ts:
- DO use a deep-fry thermometer to accurately gauge the temperature of the oil
- DON’T overcrowd the pan with food items or you’ll risk dropping the temperature of the oil so much that the foods won’t cook fast enough (result: soggy fried foods)
- DO choose an oil with a high enough smoke point, such as canola oil or vegetable oil
- DON’T leave any water near or around the pot of boiling oil (water + oil = not friends!)
- DO have a paper towel-lined plate ready to transfer the fried items onto after they’ve been cooked
Follow those few tips and you’ll be well on your way to chocolate wonton pillow perfection. And don’t hesitate to fill up your wontons with any variety of chocolate or fruit to add this recipe to your menu lineup 365 days a year!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 12 small squares chocolate, such as semisweet or dark
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Confectioners' sugar, for topping
- Deep-fry thermometer
- Add 3 inches of vegetable oil to a pot set over medium-low heat. Attach the deep-fry thermometer to the pot. Line a plate with paper towels and set it aside.
- Arrange 12 of the wonton wrappers on your work surface then place a square piece of chocolate in the center of each wonton.
- Brush around the edges of each of the wonton wrappers then place a second wonton wrapper on top and firmly seal together the edges with your fingers.
- Once the oil reaches 350°F, add one or two of the wontons to the pot. Cook the wontons, flipping them as needed, until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the wontons from the pot to the paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining wontons, allowing the oil to return to 350°F between each batch.
- Dust the wontons with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.