Swap the spuds in favor of a light and healthy recipe for Crispy Baked Avocado Fries.
Few foods are as satisfying as crispy, crunch French fries. But if you’re looking to skip the starch and swap in a healthier, creamy alternative, look no further than the trusty avocado!
Crispy Baked Avocado Fries provide the same satisfying crunch as their potato counterpart, and it’s all thanks to a Panko breadcrumb coating that bakes up beautifully golden brown.
These aren’t any ordinary avocado fries. They’ve got a secret ingredient that kicks up the flavor: Tajin seasoning.
You may recognize this orange spice from the rim of your margarita glass. Now, it’s making its way to your plate to add salty, lime flavor to every bite.
You can find it in the spice aisle or in the produce section of all major grocery stores, so don’t hesitate to poke around until you track it down.
When it comes to the avocados themselves, it’s important that they are ripe but firm. You want to be able to easily slice and bread them without them falling apart. When in doubt, error on the underripe side because they will soften slightly as they bake.
And to dip? Ranch (homemade or store-bought!), ketchup or a chipotle mayo are all fan favorites!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 large avocados (See Kelly’s Note)
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Tajin seasoning (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray
- Ketchup or Ranch dressing, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the flour with the Tajin seasoning (optional). In a second shallow dish, whisk together the eggs. Add the breadcrumbs to a third shallow dish.
- Pit, peel and slice the avocados into 1/2-inch wedges. Squeeze the lime juice on top of the avocado slices to coat them.
- Dredge the avocado slices in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess, then dip them in the eggs and then into the breadcrumbs, coating the avocado slices on all sides.
- Arrange the breaded avocado slices on the baking sheet then spray them with cooking spray.
- Bake the avocado fries for 10 minutes, flip them once and spray them again with the cooking spray then bake them an additional 10 to 15 minutes until they’re golden brown.
- Serve the fries with your choice of dipping sauces.
- The avocados should be ripe but still firm so they are easy to slice and coat.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
I’ve made these a few times and they are always a hit! Sometimes we have them as a side dish (dunked in spicy mayo), and other times we use them in tacos with coleslaw.
I’m thrilled you’ve been enjoying the recipe, Beth!