Flavor and nutrition take center stage in a quick and easy recipe for Freezer-Friendly Egg White Muffins loaded with your choice of cheese and veggies.
They’re baaaaaack! Egg muffins, that is. After a resounding chorus of “We want more healthy breakfast recipes!” I’ve stepped (back) up to the plate to deliver the next iteration in fast and fresh a.m. options: Freezer-Friendly Egg White Muffins.
Similar to their culinary counterpart, these egg white muffins pack a whole lot of protein into each and every bite. And they’re totally customizable when it comes to fillings, so dream up your ultimate omelette, then add all of those ingredients into an egg white base.
Egg Muffins for Meal Prep
Perhaps the greatest selling point is the ability for these muffins to be baked and then popped into the freezer for a quick and healthy morning meal or snack on-the-go.
I’m a breakfast super-enthusiast, so when mornings are rushed (i.e. 8 out of 7 days a week!), I grab one or two of these muffins from the freezer, pop them in the microwave for 1 minute and then enjoy a hot meal in one hand while holding my little guy in the other.
Low Calorie Egg Muffins
The skinny on this recipe? Two egg white muffins clock in at exactly 100 calories!
So now you can indulge in a homemade breakfast that’s warmed in minutes and packed with protein and vegetables to keep you going all day long. Top off the egg white muffins with mashed avocado and/or a dollop of salsa and healthy eating has never been more delicious.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 1/2 cups egg whites
- Mashed avocado, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Divide the spinach, cherry tomatoes, cheddar cheese and chives equally among the muffin cups.
- Pour the egg whites into the muffin cups, filling each full.
- Bake the muffins until the egg whites are fully cooked, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes in the pan before using a knife to loosen the muffins from the cups.
- Top each muffin with mashed avocado and serve immediately, or if freezing, transfer the fully cooled muffins to a sealable plastic bag and store them in the freezer. To re-heat: Microwave the muffins for 45 seconds or until thawed, then top them with the mashed avocado and serve.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.