Nothing says “hello, summer!” quite like a grilled flatbread topped with all of your favorite pizza fixings. While I’m all for a traditional oven-baked pie, there’s just something about the smoky taste and flame-kissed flavor of a carb cooked over the coals.
This quick-fix grilled flatbread ditches the traditional tomato sauce in favor of extra-creamy avocado pesto packed with plenty of fresh basil and garlic. But perhaps the real star of the show is summer’s standout produce: grilled corn on the cob.
Remember the not-so-secret (but oh-so-fast) trick I showed you for how to cook, husk and cut corn in seconds? You can apply that same technique to grilled corn, which is slathered in butter then wrapped in foil for the fastest (and cleanest!) way to go from stalk to table. And I’ve teamed up with the creative minds at Reynolds Wrap® to share this recipe as part of their Endless Table program, which instantly caught my eye on Instagram.
Ready to tackle summer one slice at a time? Check out the Endless Table then fire up those flames for Grilled Flatbread Pizzas with Avocado Pesto. And feel free to get creative with your choice of cheeses and additional toppings (think barbecue sauce, caramelized onions, grilled chicken and beyond!).
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Reynolds Kitchens. All opinions expressed are my own.
For the avocado pesto:
- 1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted pistachios, toasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the flatbread pizzas:
- 2 large ears corn, shucked
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 store-bought flatbreads (or naan)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 cup arugula
- Crushed red pepper flakes, for serving (optional)
- In a blender, make the pesto by combining the avocado, basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, garlic, pistachios, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Pulse until the mixture is roughly chopped, then with the blender running, slowly stream in the olive oil. Continue blending the pesto until it is a thick paste, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed. Set the pesto aside.
- Preheat the grill for 10 minutes on medium heat. Spread 1 tablespoon butter on each ear of corn then wrap them in Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil. Place the corn on the grill, close the lid and grill the corn, turning it frequently, until it is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Unwrap the corn, and once it is cool enough to handle, slice the kernels off the cob.
- Brush both sides of the flatbreads with olive oil then grill them for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Remove the flatbreads from the grill and top them with the avocado pesto, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Top the pesto with the Gruyere cheese, mozzarella cheese, red onions and corn. Return the flatbreads to the grill, close the lid and grill them until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the flatbreads from the grill and transfer them to serving plates. Top the flatbreads with the arugula and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes (optional) then slice and serve immediately.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.