Episode 20: Chef Daniele Uditi of Pizzana
Meet legendary pizza maker, Daniele Uditi! Daniele is the head chef at Pizzana in Los Angeles and a master of all things dough, sauce and cheese. Originally from Naples, Italy, Daniele was raised in a culinary family and spent years honing his craft abroad before traveling to the U.S. to pursue his passion for pizza. In this episode, Daniele and Kelly chat about:
- What inspired Daniele’s legendary “slow dough” and how he perfected it with a 65-year-old starter
- How Daniele has defined the neo-Neopolitan pizza style at Pizzana
- Daniele’s reaction to the first slice of pizza he ever ate in the United States
- How Daniele transforms classic Italian pasta dishes into pizza toppings
- Daniele’s reinvention of pineapple on pizza, inspired by tacos al pastor
Daniele Uditi is the LA-based master pizzaiolo and chef at Pizzana, a Neo-Neaopolitan pizzeria from Candace and Charles Nelson and partners Chris and Caroline O’Donnell with locations in Brentwood and West Hollywood. At Pizzana, Daniele shares his distinct interpretation of a Naples classic with a menu that finds inspiration from the local Los Angeles markets, as well as the traditions of his native Italy.