Everyone’s favorite quickbread gets a welcome glow-up (hello, healthy fats!) in this family favorite recipe for Olive Oil Banana Bread.
There are a hundreds of thousands of recipes for banana bread online, and for good reason: Banana bread is a 365 days-a-year breakfast, brunch and snacktime winner.
In our house, banana bread is on the weekly recipe rotation. We keep bananas stocked seven days a week, and the second they go brown, it’s one of dozen-plus recipe variations to the rescue.
Julian and Evan are so accustomed to their weekly loaf that they come running to claim the first slice, usually eyeing the one with the most visible chocolate chips or chunks, of course!
The great thing about the star ingredient in this loaf is that it lends an incredible amount of moisture without an overpowering flavor, which is why Olive Oil Banana Bread is the newly minted favorite around here.
The key to choosing the best olive oil for baking is to opt for a variety with a very neutral flavor that’s light and fruity, rather than peppery and intense. We want it to enhance the consistency of the bread without subtracting from the banana flavor.
I am a firm believer that everything is better with chocolate, so while it is an optional add-in, I highly suggesting folding in a handful of chocolate chips or chunks.
Wiley (above) agrees, although he gets first dibs on the ends of the bananas while the boys vie for the chocolate chunks. And this is just one of the many reasons that Wiley and the boys are the ultimate dream team!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch loaf pan with parchment paper leaving an overhang on the two longer sides. Grease the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, white sugar, baking powder and salt. Set the mixture aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, olive oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips or chopped nuts then transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan.
- Bake the banana bread for 45 minutes then tent it loosely with foil and continue baking it an additional 10 to 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and set it aside to cool completely. Slice and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.