Take the stress out of dinner prep with this fast and fresh recipe for One Pot Pasta with Italian Sausage.
Life has been a whirlwind around here lately, and I am not complaining one bit! Now that I have two little boys (both under age 2!), I am all about minimizing stress and maximizing meal prep. And it doesn’t get much easier, tastier or more satisfying than a big ol’ bowl of One Pot Pasta with Italian Sausage.
This recipe is everything you need in a hearty meal that can be tweaked and customized based on whatever you can find in your fridge or pantry. All you need is this basic recipe template (and a large appetite and/or a desire for freezable leftovers):
1. Pick Your Protein: I’ve opted for Italian sausage, but ground beef, ground turkey, ground pork or even ground chicken would work.
3. Know Your Noodles: Any variety of noodle will work, but I favor a sturdier shape that can stand up to a meaty ragù, such as rigatoni, cavatappi or penne.
And that right there is the result! The real beauty of this dish is that the noodles cook directly in the sauce, so there’s no waiting on a pot of water coming to a boil. The simmering sauce thickens into a hearty ragù, and all that’s left to do is add a few halved mini mozzarella balls and freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Ready to get cooking? I’ve teamed up with Williams Sonoma and Scanpan to bring you the video below. Tune in to see me whip up this One Pot Pasta with Italian Sausage.
And if you’re feeling extra fancy, complete your feast with a hot loaf of my go-to Secret Ingredient Cheesy Garlic Bread!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 16 oz. uncooked pasta, sauce as penne, rigatoni or cavatappi
- Mini mozzarella balls, for serving
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Fresh basil, for serving
- In a large pot set over medium-low heat, add the olive oil then add the sausage and cook it, breaking it apart into pieces, until it is no longer pink.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the marinara sauce, stirring to combine, then stir in 2 cups of water and the pasta.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce it to a simmer then cover the pot and continue cooking until the pasta is al dente, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve the pasta topped with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Aim for a 6-quart heavy-bottomed stock pot or braiser that has a lid.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.