Maximum flavor and minimum fuss join forces in a family-friendly recipe for Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta starring spinach and sun-dried tomatoes tossed in a garlicky Parmesan cheese sauce.
Never has a one-pot meal so perfectly embodied all of my favorite flavors. This recipe packs big flavor into every bite courtesy of spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and yes, even bacon. The result is a hearty, meal-in-a-bowl that’s creamy, cheesy and welcome on my dinner table any day of the week.
Is This Recipe Similar to Tuscan Chicken Mac and Cheese?
You bet! This is essentially an adult spin on the comfort food classic. In place of the traditional cheddar sauce is a garlicky Parmesan sauce. The result is a dish that’s part creamed spinach and part mac and cheese.
Is This a Freezer Meal?
Yes indeed! This recipe for Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta can be made as instructed and then once cooled completely, stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Take it one step further by storing it in individual servings so that reheating a portion for one takes just minutes!
Can I Make This Recipe Without Bacon?
Absolutely! If you’re looking to make this recipe without the bacon, simply swap in 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil and continue with the recipe as instructed.
The hardest part of this recipe? Deciding which shape of noodles to use! Any short pasta will work, wuch as rotini, bowtie, shells or penne. Pick your favorite and let the flavor party begin!Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 8 oz. uncooked short pasta, such as bowtie, penne or rotini
- 6 slices uncooked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and thinly sliced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook it until it is al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and set it aside.
- Add the bacon to a heavy-bottomed stock pot set over medium-low heat. Cook the bacon, stirring, until all the fat has rendered. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon pieces to a bowl and set them aside. Leave all drippings in the pot. (If less than 2 tablespoons are in the pot, supplement with butter or olive oil.)
- Add the chicken breasts and cook on one side for 4 minutes then flip once and cook until cooked through, about 4 more minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and leave 2 tablespoons drippings in the pot. (If needed, supplement with butter, oil or bacon fat.)
- Increase the heat to medium. Add the spinach. Cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the heavy cream and sour cream and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, then stir in the pasta.
- Dice the chicken then add it to the pot, along with the sun-dried tomatoes and reserved bacon. Stir to combine then serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!