Winter’s most festive fruit stars in a family-friendly recipe for Orange Cranberry Crisp that’s topped with scoops of vanilla bean ice cream.
When it comes to holiday desserts, I am President of the Crisp, Cobbler and Crumble Club (say that five times fast!). There’s just something about the pairing of warm fruit and a doughy topping that beats out pie of any kind (OK, almost any kind). And speaking of pie…
While strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are welcome in warmer months, I’ve brought the oh-so-tart cranberry to center stage, and it’s getting extra attention courtesy of its flavor BFF: Florida’s Natural orange juice!
This marks my sixth year partnering with Florida’s Natural as part of their Brunch Club. Although traveling cross-country isn’t in the cards this year (we loved checking out the Grove House last winter!), I still wanted to bring the flavor of the Sunshine State into this holiday-themed dessert. Take it away, Orange Cranberry Crisp!
Baking the cranberries with Florida’s Natural Brand Orange Juice gives the entire skillet dessert a straight-from-the-grove taste. So while we technically didn’t get to visit the Grove House again this year, we definitely let our taste buds make the trip.
While it’d have been easy to bulk up the fruit filling with apples or pears, I thought it was about time cranberries took the full credit. Mixed with my favorite single-ingredient orange juice (yep, only oranges!) and brown sugar, the trifecta bubbles up into a thick, syrupy fruit filling that strikes the perfect balance of sweet and citrusy flavors.
With a homerun on the filling, it’s time to direct our attention to the oatmeal cookie-like topping. I repeat: oatmeal cookie-like topping!
Gone are the notoriously dry oats of a classic crisp topping, and in their place is a buttery, pecan-studded mixture that’s essentially an egg-less cookie dough.
While you grab the ice cream scoop, don’t forget to check out two more of my favorite Florida’s Natural-inspired desserts, No-Bake Orange Cranberry Cheesecake Parfaits and Tropical Brioche Bread Pudding to complete your holiday dessert slam-dunk.
No-Bake Orange Cranberry Cheesecake Parfaits: Get the Recipe
Tropical Brioche Bread Pudding: Get the Recipe
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the fruit filling:
- Unsalted butter, for greasing skillet
- 6 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Florida's Natural Orange Juice
For the topping:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Make the fruit filling:
- Preheat the oven to350°F. Grease a 10-inch skillet with butter.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cranberries, cornstarch, brown sugar and orange juice.
- Pour the fruit filling into the skillet.
Make the topping:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, flour, pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in the melted butter until combined.
- Using your fingers, clump together the topping and sprinkle it on the fruit.
- Bake the crisp until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the crisp from the oven and let it cool slightly before topping with ice cream and serving.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
Disclosure: I’ve partnered with Florida’s Natural for an exclusive endorsement of not-from-concentrate Florida’s Natural® Brand Orange Juice. This blog post is sponsored by Florida’s Natural. All opinions are my own.