Turn a savory snack into a dessert favorite with a quick and easy recipe for Apple Pie Egg Rolls perfect for dipping in whipped cream or caramel sauce.
Apple Pie Egg Rolls have been a long time coming around here. Because if there’s anything I love more than a good ol’ crispy chicken egg roll dunked in sweet and sour sauce, it’s a good ol’ apple pie egg roll dunked in caramel sauce (or whipped cream!).
This latest creation was inspired not only by classic egg rolls, but also by another sweet take on a savory favorite, Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas. So the moral of the story here is, edible envelopes of dough can be stuffed with just about any ingredient and then deep-fried, and the result is seriously irresistible.
In this case, we’re talking tangy Granny Smith apples, a touch of sugar and plenty of cinnamon all cooked together until softened slightly. This is the same route we go down with homemade applesauce, so you want to stop cooking the apples while they still have a little bit of bite.
And then into the egg roll wrapper they go! It’s important to roll these babies up tight to ensure the filling stays in place when they go for a quick plunge in boiling oil. A touch of water around the wrappers helps seal in all the apple goodness.
Once the crispy, golden rolls are plucked from the oil, give them a quick powdered sugar shower and then dig in (or start dunking in caramel or whipped cream!). And for more apple-inspired sweets, don’t miss Apple Fritter Rings, Easy Salted Caramel Apple Tart and Apple Pie Panini.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Whipped cream or caramel sauce, for serving (optional)
- In a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine the diced apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with ⅓ cup water then add it to the apple mixture. Stir together the mixture then bring it to a boil and cover it. Reduce it to a simmer and cook the mixture until the apples have softened slightly and the mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the apple mixture from the heat, stir in the vanilla extract then transfer the mixture to a bowl to cool completely.
- Fill a small dish with water and line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Once the apple mixture has cooled completely, arrange the egg roll wrappers on a dry work surface then using a slotted spoon, portion about ¼ cup of the apple mixture in the lower third of each wrapper. Beginning at the bottom of the wrapper, roll the egg roll up while folding the edges inward. Wet your finger in the water and run it around the edges then seal the egg rolls shut.
- Add at least 4 inches of oil to a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot set over medium-high heat and attach a deep-fry thermometer to the side. Once the oil reaches 360°F, add 3 to 4 egg rolls and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove the egg rolls from the oil and transfer them onto the baking sheet. Repeat the frying process with the remaining egg rolls, returning the oil to 360°F between batches.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream or caramel sauce for dipping.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.