Cheesecake Brownie Bites. Banana Bread French Toast. Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding Crème Brûlée. Things have been, how can I put this, rather bikini un-friendly around here lately (and by “lately,” I mean “as per usual”). So I decided to give the waistband of my pants a break this week by lightening up the caloric load with Quinoa Guacamole Salad, and I’m also serving up a few tips in my video below for how to cook quinoa so that it’s super light and fluffy.
And now that it’s officially summer, I’m hoping that this recipe makes bathing suit shopping a pinch less painful. That is, until next week’s recipe hits the interwebs. (Hint: It rhymes with “schmeanut schmutter snookies.”)
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a second fresh serving of content delivered straight to your inbox each week! And stay in touch on Facebook and Twitter for all of the latest updates.
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 avocados
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve until the water runs clear.
- Add the quinoa, plus 4 cups water, to a medium saucepan. Bring the quinoa to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes (uncovered), or until the germ ring is visible (indicating the quinoa is cooked). Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl to cool.
- Whisk together the garlic, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, salt, pepper and olive oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Dice the avocados and tomatoes into bite-sized pieces. (See Kelly's Notes.)
- Add the diced avocado, tomatoes and onions to the quninoa. Drizzle with dressing and fold to thoroughly combine.
- Serve salad at room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.
- To avoid adding excess liquid to the salad, de-seed the tomatoes with a small spoon before dicing.
- Dice the avocados at the last possible moment to avoid having them brown prior to folding into the salad.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!