Two words: doughnut sundae.
Yes, yes and yes. This Ultimate Doughnut Sundae is everything you want an over-the-top dessert to be: It’s a deep-fried towering delight sandwiched together with ice cream that’s covered with whipped cream, chocolate sauce and cherries. And who could forget the doughnut holes skewers?
But I can’t take great for this culinary moment of genius. I have my amazingly talented righthand woman/confectionery partner in crime, Libby, to thank for dreaming up this, well, total dream of a dessert.
“We have to do a doughnut sundae!” she exclaimed during a recent brainstorm meeting. “It has to have chocolate sauce and sprinkles. Definitely sprinkles.”
You’re a girl after my own heart, Libby. And I’m not one to disappoint, so this Ultimate Doughnut Sundae is happening, and it’s happening in grand style. But here’s the best news of the day: It can be as homemade or as store-bought as your heart desires. If you do decide to go the DIY route, I’ve got you covered with recipes for the following:
- Easy Homemade Glazed Doughnut Holes: You can’t go wrong with these perfectly poppable (and seriously addicting) doughnettes. Toss ’em in sprinkles for added color. Alternately, chocolate-lovers won’t want to miss Homemade Glazed Chocolate Doughnut Holes and Baked Mini Buttermilk Doughnuts with Nutella Glaze.
- No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream: Four ingredients and no ice cream machine needed? Sign me up!
- The Best Secret Ingredient Whipped Cream: You’ll never guess what gives this amped up dessert topping a touch of tang and shine…
If you’re feeling extra-fancy, skip the chocolate sauce in favor of Easy Homemade Butterscotch Sauce. I promise you won’t regret the spectacular pairing of caramelized sugar and sticky doughnuts. After all, I do believe there’s a saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day…
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 6 frosted doughnuts (cake or yeast)
- 6 doughnut holes (cake or yeast)
- 4 cups homemade or store-bought vanilla ice cream
- Chocolate sauce
- Homemade or store-bought whipped cream
- Two wooden skewers
- Slice the doughnuts in half widthwise.
- Skewer three doughnut holes onto each wooden skewer.
- Divide the ice cream between the bottom halves of the doughnuts, completing each sandwich with a doughnut top.
- Arrange the doughnut ice cream sandwiches on a serving plate. Stick the doughnut hole skewers into the doughnut ice cream sandwiches. Top the sundae with whipped cream, chocolate sauce and cherries. Serve immediately.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.