You name the iconic doughnut spot and chances are my taste buds and I have made the trek by plane, train, automobile or foot (See: The Just a Taste Doughnuthon) to sample the chosen city’s Holy Grail of Glaze. Put simply, doughnuts are my favorite food. My edible obsession. My caloric kryptonite.
Lucky for me, and unlucky for my pants, I’m now a DIY doughnut machine thanks to a sleek mini doughnut pan that has me ditching the deep-fried dough in favor of a baked variety. Slather on a silky Nutella glaze and a shower of sprinkles and you’ll be bypassing the store-bought doughnuts in favor of these hot, fresh two-bite beauties. But the goodness doesn’t end there.
It’s time to step aside Oprah because … YOU get a mini doughnut pan and YOU get a mini doughnut pan and YOU get a mini doughnut pan. And it’s all thanks to one of my favorite bakeware companies, Wilton, who has graciously offerred to give away not one, not two, but three mini doughnut pans.
UPDATE: This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations to the winners, Laura (comment #53), Jackie (comment #74) and Sarah (comment #115).
Make sure you’re following Just a Taste on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates, and then enter for your chance to win by leaving a comment on this post that answers the following question:
What type of doughnut would you make with your new Wilton mini doughnut pan?
Three separate winners will be selected via Random.org and announced on Wednesday, July 17, 2013. This giveaway closes on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 12 p.m. EST and is open to U.S. participants only. The winner will be contacted via email, so please include a valid email address in the email address entry box.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Disclosure: All opinions expressed are my own and I was not compensated monetarily for this post.
For the doughnuts:
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Nutella glaze:
- 1/2 cup Nutella, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Assorted sprinkles, chopped nuts or toasted coconut (optional)
- mini-doughnut pan
Make the doughnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and spray the mini-doughnut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the buttermilk, vanilla, eggs and melted butter just until combined.
- Fill each pan cavity approximately ⅓ full (about ½ Tablespoon per cavity). Tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles and level out the batter.
- Bake the doughnuts for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the tops of the doughnuts spring back when touched. Let the doughnuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer them to a cooling wrack to cool completely while you make the Nutella glaze.
Make the Nutella glaze:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Nutella and heavy cream until combined. If the glaze is too thick, whisk in an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream.
- Dip the tops of the doughnuts into the glaze, shake off any excess (or use a spoon to smooth on the glaze) and immediately sprinkle them with chopped nuts, sprinkles or other garnishes.
- Cake flour is located alongside other flours in most grocery stores. One of the most popular brands is called Swans Down Cake Flour, which is packaged in a bright red box.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Doughnut recipe adapted from Wilton.