Despite the fact that I’ve never met a cookie I didn’t like, I found these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies to be among the best I have ever baked (or tasted). The recipe is for the famous Neiman Marcus Cookies, which feature a special ingredient: blended oatmeal!
The blended oatmeal alters the consistency of the cookies by making them softer, while at the same time eliminating big chunks of oats to make for more even baking. Move over Monster Cookies, these Blended Oatmeal Cookies might just be my new all-time favorite.
Blended Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Add the oats to the bowl of a food processor and blend until they're a powder-like consistency.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, brown sugar and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition, then add the vanilla.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and blended oatmeal and mix until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and nuts (optional), mixing to combine.
- Shape 2 to 3 tablespoons of dough into mounds spaced 2 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from The Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe.