Tomorrow morning I’m flying to Austin, Texas for the annual BlogHer Food conference, and I could think of no better sendoff than a southern-inspired sweet that pays homage to a Tex-Mex favorite: chimichangas.
For all those unfamiliar with the dish, chimichangas are essentially deep-fried burritos filled with a variety of savory fillings, such as pulled pork or beef, beans, rice and cheese. But given that I can’t go a day without a bite of something sweet, I dreamt up a dessert version that stars a homemade strawberry cheesecake filling rolled inside flour tortillas. The stuffed tortillas go for a quick dunk in boiling oil and a final swish in cinnamon and sugar. The result is a twist on traditional cheesecake that swaps pillowy tortillas for the classic graham cracker crust.
But the sweetness doesn’t end there! I’m headed to Austin with the KitchenAid team, and they’re extending a pretty sweet giveaway with the chance to win a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, color of your choice.
UPDATE: This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations to the winner, Lisa D. (comment #216), who was selected via Random.org!
Make sure you’re following Just a Taste on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates from Austin, and then enter for your chance to win by leaving a comment on this post that answers the following question:
Which Just a Taste recipe would you make with your new KitchenAid Stand Mixer?
One winner will be selected via Random.org and announced on Wednesday, June 12, 2013. This giveaway closes on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 12 p.m. EST and is open to U.S. participants only. The winner will be contacted via email, so please include a valid email address in the email address entry box.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Disclosure: All opinions expressed are my own and I was not compensated monetarily for this post.
Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 6 (8-inch) soft flour tortillas
- 1 3/4 cups sliced strawberries, divided
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Equipment: toothpicks; deep-fry thermometer
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese with the sour cream, 1 tablespoon sugar, vanilla extract and lemon zest, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Fold in 3/4 cup of the sliced strawberries.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tortillas, slathering each portion in the lower third of each tortilla. Next, fold the two sides of each tortilla toward the center and then roll the tortilla up like a burrito and secure it with a toothpick. Repeat the rolling process with the remaining tortillas.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with the cinnamon in a shallow bowl and set it aside. Line a large plate with paper towels.
- Add 3 inches of oil to a large, deep saucepan, leaving a minimum of 2 inches from the top of the oil to the top of the saucepan. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 360ºF on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Working in batches, fry the chimichangas until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes, flipping them as needed. Transfer the chimichangas to the paper towel-lined plate to drain for 1 minute, and then roll them in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Repeat the frying and rolling process with the remaining chimichangas, returning the oil to 360ºF between batches.
- Remove all toothpicks from the chimichangas and transfer them to serving plates. Top each with a portion of the remaining 1 cup of sliced strawberries and serve immediately.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste.