Two dessert favorites join forces in a top-rated recipe for swirled Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies.
It’s not officially February in my mind until I roll out the red velvet desserts. From Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls to Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies, nothing says “Valentine’s Day” like a confection that’s the color of love.
I’ve rolled two (or possible even three) desserts into one beloved sweet that swirls fudgy red velvet brownies with tangy cheesecake filling. The result is a brownie beloved by many, with all the 5-star reviews to prove it!
How to Make Cheesecake Brownies
Everywhere red velvet goes, cream cheese frosting is sure to follow. I’ve swapped the traditional frosting for a tangy cheesecake filling that’s luscious, creamy and not too sweet. It also provides the perfect contrasting color to deep-red velvet brownie batter.
How to Swirl Cheesecake Brownies
There is definitely a technique to swirling the two batters together so that you get the perfect marbled effect with a little bit of brownie and a little bit of cheesecake in every single bite.
Start by topping a portion of the brownie batter with the cheesecake filling, then add dollops of the remaining brownie batter on top. Finally, use a toothpick or skewer (anything with a thin, sharp point) to swirl the two batters together.
It’s easy to go overboard during the swirling phase, but try to stop yourself when you get somewhere like the above, which is a good blend of the two batters without overdoing it.
All that’s left to do is pop these beauties into the oven and then sustain the long wait time of letting them cool completely before slicing them into squares and digging in.
Looking for more brownie inspiration? Check out my favorite recipes below:
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies (Brookies)
- Samoas Coconut Caramel Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies
- Quick and Easy Skillet Brownie
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the red velvet brownies:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon red food coloring
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
For the cheesecake filling:
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper and grease it with butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted 8 tablespoons butter with the sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, food coloring and salt, stirring to combine. Then stir in the white vinegar.
- Whisk together the eggs in a small bowl, and then stir them into the brownie batter. Fold in the flour, just until combined, then pour the batter into the prepared pan, reserving ¼ cup of the batter for the topping.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a handheld electric mixer), blend together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk until well combined. Spread the cream cheese mixture in an even layer over the brownie batter then top the cream cheese with dollops of the remaining brownie batter. Using a sharp knife or toothpick, swirl the cream cheese together with the dollops of brownie batter.
- Bake the brownies for 30 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely before lifting the parchment out of the pan then slicing and serving.
- Brownies often taste better the second day after they’re baked, so feel free to make the brownies in advance and store them in an airtight container.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe adapted from Sunny Anderson.