What’s not to love about hot and crispy avocado egg rolls? It’s hard to imagine a more satisfying snack than creamy avocado tossed with fresh lime juice that’s rolled and fried until golden. And given the success of the chicken egg rolls, I figured it was about time I recreated this restaurant favorite in my own kitchen.
The accompanying dipping sauce is crucial to ensuring this DIY version matches the sweet-meets-savory amazingness of the restaurant version. And enter, Thai sweet chili sauce.
Thai sweet chili sauce is right up there with hoisin sauce in my world of condiments. It’s like ketchup around here, pairing perfectly with, well, everything. Chicken wings? Of course. Stir-fry? You bet. Avocado egg rolls? Absolutely. So skip dining out tonight and take on the takeout with egg rolls, Mongolian beef and fried rice (featuring my secret trick used by the pros!).
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 large avocados
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 (1-lb.) package egg roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Thai sweet chili sauce, for serving
- Equipment: Deep-fry thermometer
- Discard the peel and pit from the avocados then dice them into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced avocado, lime juice, minced red onion, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, tossing to combine.
- To roll the egg rolls, place one wrapper at a time on your work surface and spoon about 2 tablespoons of the avocado filling onto the lower one-third of the wrapper. Begin rolling from the bottom, tucking the filling under and folding in the sides as you roll. Brush the edges of the wrapper with water to seal them. Set the egg rolls aside.
- Add at least 3 inches of vegetable oil to a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot set over medium heat. Attach the deep-fry thermometer to the side. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Once the oil reaches 360ºF, add several egg rolls (careful not to overcrowd the pan) and cook them, flipping occasionally, until they’re golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the egg rolls to the paper towel-lined plate and repeat the frying process, returning the oil to 360ºF between each batch.
- Serve the egg rolls with Thai sweet chili sauce for dipping.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.