Ditch the deep fryer and get snacking with my go-to recipe for Air Fryer Cream Cheese Wontons that are shatteringly crispy, loaded with flavor and take just 15 minutes to prep.
Few snacks are as satisfying on the flavor and texture fronts as cream cheese wontons. If they’re on a restaurant menu, I’m ordering them 10 out of 10 times. The combination of crispy wonton wrappers and tangy cream cheese filling, plus the inevitable dunk in sweet and sour sauce leads to a snack home run.
Now you can skip the deep-frying and leave the oil behind because it’s the air fryer to the rescue!
Cream Cheese Wonton Filling
This simple snack or appetizer packs big flavor in every crispy bite. The cream cheese filling is flavored with scallions, soy sauce and garlic. Sealing the filling inside wonton wrappers takes minutes and can even be done up to a day ahead of time.
Like most air fryer recipes, the only oil comes in the form of cooking spray, which ensures a golden brown color and a perfect crunch.
Dipping Sauce for Cream Cheese Wontons
Sweet and sour sauce or sweet chili sauce are great options to balance out the savory flavor profile of this snack. If you’re looking to stick with something more soy sauce-based, I like a simple combination of soy sauce, black vinegar, scallions, sesame seeds, and if you’re up for some heat, a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
Air Fryer Temperature for Cream Cheese Wontons
The key to crispy wontons and a warm, melty cream cheese center comes down to the air fryer temperature. Preheating the air fryer to 360°F leads to hot and crispy cream cheese wontons in less than 10 minutes.Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- Air fryer
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temp
- 3 Tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 large egg
- Cooking Spray
- Sweet chili sauce, for dipping (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, scallions, soy sauce and garlic powder.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the egg.
- Arrange the wonton wrappers on your work surface. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each wonton wrapper. Wet your finger in the egg mixture then trace around the edges of the wontons. To seal the wontons, fold the four corners up to meet in the center, pressing along the seams. (See Kelly’s Note.)
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F.
- Spray the inside of the air fryer basket with cooking spray then arrange a portion of the wontons in a single layer so that they aren’t touching in the basket. Spray the wontons with cooking spray. Air fry the wontons for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Your wonton shapes can be as simple or as intricate as you’d like! To keep them simple, fold one corner diagonally toward the opposite corner. This will make triangular wontons.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.