Pack big flavor into bite-sized dumplings with a family favorite recipe for Easy Chicken Potstickers with Soy Dipping Sauce.
When it comes to my all-time favorite foods, I have two very distinctive answers: On the sweet front, it has been (and will always be) glazed doughnuts. Newly emergent on the savory front is dumplings in every way, shape and form, from Spicy Chicken Wontons to Easy Chicken Potstickers and every doughy option in between.
I’m a huge fan of DIY’ing my favorite takeout dishes, from 30-Minute Mongolian Beef and Pineapple Chicken Fried Rice to Easy Pad Thai with Chicken and Baked Orange Chicken Meatballs.
It’s hard to beat some quality takeout-inspired fare, especially when you’re whipping it up fresh in your own kitchen. And now we can add crispy pan-fried potstickers to the lineup.
These flavor-packed dumplings feature a mix of ground chicken, garlic, ginger and scallions all tucked inside a wonton wrapper. Pan-fry the pockets until crispy then dip and dunk them in homemade soy dipping sauce that’s savory, sweet and features a touch of (optional) heat. They are the ultimate start to your takeout-fakeout feast!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sliced scallions
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
For the potstickers:
- 1 pound ground chicken (See Kelly’s Notes)
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions, green and white parts
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 25 round wonton wrappers
- Vegetable oil, for pan-frying
Make the dipping sauce:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, scallions, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Set the sauce aside.
Make the potstickers:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the ground chicken, scallions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil until well combined.
- To assemble the potstickers, arrange the wonton wrappers on a work surface and fill a small bowl with water. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the chicken mixture into the center of each wrapper. Dip your finger in the water then run it around the edges of each wonton wrapper. Fold the wrappers in half and pinch pleats along the top. Press the bottoms of the potstickers to create flat bottoms.
- Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to a large sauté pan set over medium-high heat. Swirl the oil to coat the bottom of the pan, then add a portion of the potstickers in a single layer and sear the bottoms until they are golden brown and crunchy.
- Once the potstickers are browned on the bottom, add ¼ cup water to the pan and cover it immediately to steam the potstickers until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking while swirling the potstickers in the pan until all of the water has evaporated.
- Transfer the potstickers to a paper towel-lined plate then repeat the searing and steaming process with the remaining potstickers.
- Ground chicken can sometimes be tricky to find, but ground turkey is a great substitute and often more readily available at most grocery stores.
- The filling does not need to be cooked prior to being sealed in the wonton wrappers.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
In the notes, you say it’s okay to sub with ground turkey…. I’m assuming ground pork would work, as well? Thank you.
Absolutely, Joelle! I also have a recipe for Pork Potstickers with Citrus-Soy Dipping Sauce that you could follow. Here’s the link to the recipe: https://www.justataste.com/pork-potstickers-citrus-soy-dipping-sauce-recipe/
can i steam these pot stickers instead of frying them.
I did make this recipe and it was delicious and easy to make. Going to make a batch to keep in the freezer for a quick or late night meal.
Awesome! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Harold!
I served them with a stir fry of vegetables I had …onion,garlic,red chilli – long and only half, ginger, carrots,beans,red and green capsicum, baby spinach and cheese cabbage and a bit of oyster sauce. The guests were very impressed.
Awesome! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Cavel!
See More Comments