Grab your melon of choice for this easy and refreshing recipe for Boozy Watermelon Granita.
Melon, booze and fresh herbs. It doesn’t get much simpler or more refreshing than that!
Boozy Watermelon Granita is the ultimate summer recipe that does double duty as a cocktail and a crunchy snack.
If you aren’t familiar with granita, it’s one of the culinary world’s most underrated items, in my opinion. It’s like a slushie meets sorbet meets popsicle. And it could not be simpler to make.
I’ve paired watermelon with rum and mint in this summery version, but you can make granita with literally anything that can be blended into a juice. Just imagine all of the possibilities, from lemon (like this recipe!) and cantaloupe to strawberries and mango.
Simply blend the ingredients together, pour them into a shallow pan then pop the pan into the freezer. All that’s left to do is grab a fork and give the granita a quick fluffy every 45 minutes or so until it transforms from liquid slush to crunchy, icy treat.
Serve this Boozy Watermelon Granita (alcohol optional!) in bowls, or up your presentation with cocktail glasses so guests can sip and crunch all party long.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 5 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup white rum
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped mint, plus more for garnish
- Add the cubed watermelon to a blender and purée until liquid.
- Add the sugar, rum and mint and purée just until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 13x9-inch metal or glass baking pan and place it in the freezer for 45 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape the mixture until it comes together in icy pieces then return the pan to the freezer. Repeat the scraping and freezing process every 45 minutes until the granita is frozen.
- Top the granita with mint sprigs and serve immediately.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.