Waffle lovers unite! Ditch the box mixes and whip up a family favorite recipe for light and fluffy Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Waffles.
Oh, breakfast carbs. How I love thee. As I near the homestretch (3 weeks and counting!) to baby #2’s arrival, you better believe I’m taking every opportunity to indulge in all things carbo-loaded and chocolate chip-filled. Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Waffles, you are the answer to my early morning carb cravings!
This recipe embodies every element of absolutely perfect waffles: light and airy in texture, slightly crispy around the edges, insanely moist, and most importantly, studded with mini chocolate chips for a touch of sweetness.
And all that goodness comes together in one big bowl before being poured into a preheated waffle iron. The use of mini chocolate chips versus the standard variety (or chunks) allows the chocolate to be perfectly melted within the batter without overwhelming the overall waffle with intense chocolate flavor.
There is a real science to this perfection! Take a look at all of those golden brown troughs. They’re just begging for a slathering of butter and a showering of warm maple syrup. Bonus points for fresh berries on top.
Ready to rival your local diner’s breakfast staple but find yourself sans buttermilk? For a buttermilk substitution:
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup
- Fill up the measuring cup with milk until you reach the 1-cup mark
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes (it will curdle)
- Measure out the required quantity of buttermilk
There’s nothing stopping you now!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Cooking spray, for greasing waffle iron
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter and eggs. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. (The batter should be lumpy.) Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Preheat the waffle iron and grease it with cooking spray. Spoon a portion of the batter into the waffle iron and cook the waffle until it is golden brown and slightly crisped.
- Remove the waffles from the waffle iron and serve them warm with your choice of maple syrup, whipped cream or fruit for topping.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious.