All you need is a few simple ingredients for this fast, fresh and impressive recipe for a Cheesy Asparagus Tart drizzled with balsamic syrup.
Nothing says, “Welcome, spring!” quite lunch a bunch of vibrant green asparagus spears. Line ’em up on a canvas of buttery puff pastry topped with melted gruyere and Parmesan and you have a recipe for the easiest, cheesiest asparagus tart.
I’m always on the hunt for easy but impressive appetizers, whether it’s hosting a casual brunch for friends or attending a last-minute potluck. And this asparagus tart delivers big on presentation and flavor. Win and win!
So how do you guarantee that bright green color? The not-so-secret secret is that you blanch the asparagus (and thoroughly dry them) before lining them up atop the grated cheeses. This helps to tenderize the spears and brings out their color, so don’t skip this step!
And to balance out all that savoriness? A nice thick drizzle of tangy balsamic syrup. Read on for the recipe and find more inspiration for all things asparagus with my favorite Baked Asparagus Fries, Cheesy Asparagus Pesto Pasta, and Asparagus and Ricotta Pizza.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 3/4 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- All-purpose flour
- 1 sheet (half of a 17.3-oz. package) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Balsamic syrup, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Add the asparagus and blanch for 30 seconds then immediately remove them from the water and arrange them on the paper towel-lined baking sheet to cool.
- Lightly flour your work surface then unfold the puff pastry onto it and roll it into a 10x12-inch rectangle. Transfer the pastry to the lined baking sheet then using a sharp knife, score a rectangular border about 1 inch from the edges. Prick the center of the pastry with a fork then bake it for about 10 minutes or just until it is pale golden.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and sprinkle it with the shredded gruyere and Parmesan cheeses then arrange the blanched asparagus spears on top of the cheese, trimming any ends as needed to fit across the pastry. Brush the entire pastry and asparagus with the olive oil then sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Return the tart to the oven for about 20 minutes or until the asparagus are tender and the pastry is deep golden brown.
- Remove the tart from the oven and let it cool. Drizzle it with the balsamic syrup then slice and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.