Ditch the dough and get your ice cream ready for this Easy Apple and Pear Crisp topped with a DIY cinnamon-oat topping.
We are officially one week away from the biggest food day of the year. I repeat: ONE WEEK! Whether your menu is set or you’re just getting started, one thing is certain: There’s always room for more dessert.
Fruit-filled desserts are always a favorite at our holiday table but this year we’re skipping the finicky pie dough in favor of this easy skillet dessert.
It’s no secret that I love skillet desserts (I’m looking at you Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie). There’s just something about skipping the plates, piling on the ice cream and digging right in with a spoon.
The setup on this one is simple: Diced apples and pears get tossed with flour, sugar and lemon juice, poured into a skillet, then topped with the best cinnamony-oat crisp to ever hit your lips. The result is a 5-star dessert without the stress of DIY pie.
What apples do I use for this easy apple crisp?
Any variety of apples will work in this recipe but I prefer Granny Smith or Cortlands.
What if I Don’t Have a Skillet?
No problem! This classic apple and pear crisp can also be made in a pie plate. Simply place the pie plate atop a baking sheet and bake the crisp until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes.
All that’s left to do is top it off with a big ol’ scoop of your favorite ice cream or a dollop (or two!) of whipped cream, grab the spoons and dig in.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the fruit filling:
- Unsalted butter, for greasing skillet
- 3 cups small diced and peeled apples (any variety)
- 3 cups small diced and peeled pears
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
For the topping:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Make the fruit filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch skillet or pie plate with butter.
- In a large bowl, stir together the apples, pears, flour, sugar and lemon juice.
- Pour the fruit filling into the prepared pie plate.
Make the topping:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in the melted butter until combined.
- Using your fingers, clump together the topping and sprinkle it on the fruit.
- Place the pie plate atop a baking sheet and bake the crisp until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the crisp from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.