Skip the forks in favor of your fingers with a party-friendly recipe for Easy Taco Salad Cups.
I often gravitate toward the miniature version of traditionally not-so-miniature foods. Add to the fact that they’re made in a muffin tin and I pretty much can’t resist mini/tiny/bite-size iterations of everything from Oatmeal Cups and Egg Muffins to Cheesecake Brownie Bites and Pizza Pockets.
Miniaturize it and make it in a muffin tin and I am sold!
Easy Taco Salad Cups take a page out of my all-time fave appetizer playbook: swap tortilla shells for wonton cups.
The wontons provide the party-perfect size for serving, while also maintaining that necessary crunch of a classic taco bowl.
I’ve opted for ground beef with taco seasoning, cheese, and a dollop of guac and salsa, but you could fill up these handheld snacks with any taco fillings, including carnitas (this quick Instant Pot recipe is my go-to), carne asada or ground turkey.
Best of all, you can make the taco cups a day in advance and prepare all of your fillings then assemble them right before serving. It’s a party in your mouth and in your hand!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 12 wonton wrappers
- Cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup ground beef or turkey
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup finely shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought guacamole
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Arrange the wonton wrappers in a 12-cup muffin pan then spray them lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake the wonton cups for 5 minutes then remove them from the oven and set them aside.
- Add the vegetable oil to a medium sauté pan set over medium-low heat. Add the ground meat and cook it, breaking it apart with a spatula, until it is browned and cooked through. Add the taco seasoning and stir to combine then remove the pan from the heat.
- Assemble the taco cups by diving the ground meat evenly among the wonton cups. Top the ground beef with the shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, and a dollop of guacamole, salsa and sour cream then serve.
- I know ⅓ cup ground meat may not seem like enough to fill 12 muffin tin cups, I promise it's the perfect quantity!
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
I served this as a snack for card night. An absolute hit!
So glad you enjoyed the recipe, Bethann!
Wow what a recipe! It’s the new family go-to app! Thanks.
You are so welcome, Diane! I’m thrilled your family enjoyed the recipe!
I would use a mini pan and scoops corn chips, adjusting filling accordingly.
See More Comments