Swap the cereal for kernels with this family favorite recipe for sweet and chewy Funfetti Marshmallow Popcorn Treats.
Step aside, Rice Krispies. Your role in classic marshmallow treats has been reassigned to an equally as puffy alternative, popcorn. Toss in some rainbow sprinkles for extra pizzazz and you have the latest, stickiest sweet to steal the dessert spotlight: Funfetti Marshmallow Popcorn Treats.
Much like the traditional version, marshmallow popcorn treats are as quick and easy to make as they are to eat. You’ll only need five ingredients and 25 minutes to brighten up birthdays (just add candles!) and special occasions with funfetti at its finest.
The real decision to make here is the type of spinkles. Will you go for more dainty nonpareils? The more classic jimmies? The big, bold and crunchy beauties I’ve used above?
The options are endless and the choice is yours and yours alone!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 10 cups plain popcorn (See Kelly’s Notes)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (10-oz.) bag marshmallows
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles, divided
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Add the butter to a large stock pot set over medium low heat. Once the butter has melted, stir in the vanilla extract (it will spatter), then add the marshmallows and cook, stirring, until smooth, about 5 minutes. Stir in the popcorn and ¼ cup of sprinkles until the popcorn is well coated, then immediately pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish pressing it firmly into an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of sprinkles on top.
- Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes then slice it into squares or bars and serve.
- You can use microwave popcorn (plain or lightly salted, but not buttered), or pop your own. You’ll need about ½ cup kernels to yield 10 cups popcorn. Lightly salted works best in terms of flavor.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.