Looking to go the DIY route with stuffed sandwich inspiration? Don’t miss the ultimate guide for how to make Homemade Uncrustables starring your choice of fillings!
I make the boys’ school lunches five days a week, and sandwiches are on the regular rotation for obvious reasons: they’re quick, a crowd-pleaser and so easy to customize. While we are big-time Uncrustables fans at our house, I was looking for ways to DIY the store-bought snack so that I could tailor the fillings to the boys’ tastes. Behold, the homemade Uncrustables Sandwich Cutter and Sealer!
Homemade Uncrustables Sealer
Here are the details on my favorite sealer/cookie cutter for making Uncrustables in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.
- What: Savoychef Sandwich Cutter and Sealer
- Where to Buy: Amazon
- Price: $19 for a set of three sealers (as of the date of this post)
Tips for Making Sealed Sandwiches
- The Best Bread: Soft sandwich bread works best with this cutter and sealer, as it’ll ensure the top doesn’t crack or give way to the fillings inside once sealed.
- Crust Conundrum: I know what you’re thinking, “But what about the crusts?” Have no fear! Those tasty scraps are prime for snacking or can be saved and transformed into homemade breadcrumbs or croutons.
- Cheese, Please!: Square cheese in a round cutter? That’s where the convenient smaller cutter comes in handy. Use it to pre-cut cheese or deli meats into the ideal sizes that will fit inside your DIY Uncrustable.
Homemade Uncrustables Ideas
There’s no need to let PB&J be the end of the sandwich filling game! My little guy Evan’s go-to fillings are salami, sharp cheddar cheese and cucumbers.
Important Tip! When sandwiching any sort of vegetable inside two pieces of bread, make sure the veggie is also sandwiched inside other ingredients. I layer the cucumber inside the slices of salami and cheese to prevent the bread from getting soggy. Other non-peanut butter and jelly ideas include:
- Chicken or turkey salad (this recipe has hundreds of 5-star reviews!)
- Cream cheese and cucumber
- Ham and cheese
- Savoychef Sandwich Cutter and Sealer
- 2 slices soft sandwich bread
- Sandwich fillings of choice
- The Savoychef Sandwich Cutter and Sealer has three parts. Separate the parts then arrange the bread on your work surface.
- If using peanut butter and jelly (or any other spreadable filling), spread it on one piece of bread in roughly the shape of the sandwich cutter you're using. Place the second piece of bread on top to form the sandwich.
- Using the largest piece of the cutter, press down into the bread then remove the crusts. (Save them for snacking or breadcrumbs!) With the large cutter still in place, then press the piece of the cutter with the grooves inside the large cutter and press down firmly to seal the edges.
- Remove the large piece and the grooved piece of the cutter and serve.
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
What are the settings for the air fryer?
Hi Debbie! If you’re making a PB&J you’ll want the air fryer set to 400°F to ensure a crispy, golden brown exterior in a mere 4 minutes. For more inspiration, here’s the link to all of my air fryer recipes: https://www.justataste.com/?s=air+fryer
Forget the store-bought sandwiches, homemade is the way to go!! My kids have been loving these since your post went up and my uncrustable sealers arrived. Thanks for such a great idea, Kelly!
You are so welcome, Jennifer! I’m thrilled your kids have been enjoying the uncrustables!