Chicken and waffles. Peanut butter and jelly. Ham and pineapple pizza. There is a method to this culinary magic in which sweet joins forces with salty for one seriously irresistible duo.
I’ve got one more sweet-salty marriage to add to the list with this recipe for Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. Just imagine the best chocolate chip cookies, but in soft and chewy cookie bar form. Stir in some crushed salted pretzels, sprinkle a few more on top, and then finish off the baked bars with a final drizzle of melted chocolate.
This is one of those someone-hide-these-from-me-or-I’m-destined-for-Spanx desserts. And sure enough, after talking myself into taste-testing a second one of those deceptively small squares above, I finally got a grip and stepped away … after wrapping the remaining cookie bars in six layers of plastic wrap, which I reinforced with tape and sealed in two plastic bags. Spanx, party of one, your table is now ready.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup crushed salted pretzels, divided
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, allowing it to hang over two sides. Coat the paper with cooking spray.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together the melted butter with the sugar and light brown sugar until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and stir in the flour and salt just until incorporated. Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips and ½ a cup of the crushed pretzels.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top, then sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of crushed pretzels on top, pressing them lightly into the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. While the cookie bars are baking, melt the remaining ½ cup chocolate chips with the vegetable oil in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Remove the cookie bars from the oven and allow them to cool completely in the pan then remove the cookies using the parchment paper overhang. Drizzle the cookie bars with the melted chocolate and allow them to cool until the chocolate hardens. Cut the cookie bars into 16 squares and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.