Warm up to a bowl of comfort with a family favorite recipe for Quick Tortellini Soup with Greens.
When it comes to store-bought shortcuts, refrigerated tortellini is one of the grocery store’s greatest gifts. It can be elevated with such ease, quickly transforming into a crispy appetizer, a 5-star pasta salad or a super-quick soup.
In this recipe, it works its magic alongside leafy greens (we’re getting a double dose with both kale and Brussels sprouts), as well as plenty of shaved Parmesan cheese and even a basil pesto drizzle.
Is This Tortellini Soup Vegetarian?
It absolutely can be! There are just two small tweaks to transform this recipe into a vegetarian-friendly feast:
- Use cheese or veggie tortellini
- Use vegetable stock (instead of chicken
What Are the Best Soup Garnishes?
This fresh and flavor-packed tortellini soup is finished with a squeeze of lemon to brighten your bowl. It’s also topped with a drizzle of basil pesto (homemade or store-bought) and plenty of freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.
Get Inspired with Refrigerated Tortellini Recipes
There’s nothing this versatile store-bought pasta can’t do! Check out a few of my favorite refrigerated tortellini recipes below.Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 (5-oz.) wedge Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 9 oz. refrigerated tortellini of choice
- 2 cups shredded kale leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Homemade or store-bought pesto, for serving
- Using a vegetable peeler or cheese grater, shred ½ cup Parmesan cheese and set it aside. Reserve the rind.
- In a large heavy-bottomed stock pot set over medium-low heat, add the olive oil and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and Parmesan cheese rind. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce it to a simmer. Add the tortellini and cook until the tortellini are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat then immediately stir in the kale lemon juice. Taste and season the soup with salt and pepper. (If the Parmesan rind hasn’t fully melted, discard it from the soup.)
- Divide the soup into serving bowls. Garnish with reserved Parmesan cheese and pesto.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!