Baked, steamed, breaded, puréed, no matter how you prepare asparagus, one thing is certain: This versatile veggie can work its magic in a million ways to add a pop of color and flavor to your table. But I’m bypassing the pizza, pasta salad and pesto and letting the spears take the spotlight in this quick and easy recipe for Roasted Asparagus with Cheesy Breadcrumbs.
Asparagus are baked, spritzed with fresh lemon juice and then topped with garlicky, Parmesan breadcrumbs for an easy, cheesy family favorite. Best of all, you’ll need just 30 minutes to go from raw ingredients to a stunner of a side dish.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 lbs asparagus, ends trimmed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 a lemon
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange the asparagus in a single layer on the baking sheet then drizzle them with 3 tablespoons olive oil, tossing until the spears are thoroughly coated. Season the asparagus with salt and freshly cracked black pepper then roast them for 15 to 20 minutes until they’re tender but still crisp. While the asparagus are roasting, prepare the breadcrumb topping.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add ¼ cup olive oil to the pan, then add the garlic and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until golden. Add the breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, until golden and toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer the breadcrumbs to a bowl and let them cool for 5 minutes then stir in the Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Transfer the asparagus to a serving plate then squeeze the lemon juice on top. Scatter the breadcrumbs on top of the asparagus and serve immediately.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
This was absolutely delicious. Made it for Easter dinner and all 12 of us ate and enjoyed…..none left!!
Awesome! I’m so thrilled everyone enjoyed the recipe, Cathy!
Love this easy recipe!
I would love to have a picture next to the recipe when I print it. Maybe I am doing something wwrong????
Hi Annette! We don’t currently have our print settings to include photos.
I can’t stop eating asparagus and how vibrant does this look! It’s beautiful and I love that vegetables can get us as excited as a cake!
The idea of putting cheesy breadcrumbs over asparagus is genius! I love the texture contrast. Can’t wait to make it!
Thanks, Jen! I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Asparagus is my favorite veggies. I wait for the fresh stuff ever year with anticipation. This cheesy topping looks fabulous!!
Sometimes I just love making asparagus as a meal by itself, so something like this sounds perfect!