Enjoy the best of two dessert worlds with a crowd-friendly recipe for Chocolate Chip Shortbread Brownies.
Shortbread, meet brownies. Brownies, meet shortbread.
Now that everyone is acquainted, we can all agree that when faced with the decision between cookies and brownies, the answer is most always a simple one…
This two-in-one dessert stars a buttery, chocolate chip-studded shortbread base that’s topped off with a fudgy brownie batter. The duo is guaranteed to give my go-to confection some serious competition in the chocolate desserts department.
These shortbread brownies get an extra nod of indulgence thanks to a final drizzle of milk chocolate and a pinch of large-flake sea salt. While the savory touch may seem superfluous, can I ask you to at least consider that salt shower? It’ll transform any ordinary dessert into something extraordinary.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Keep the salty-sweet desserts coming with a few of my favorite recipes below.
Banana Pudding with Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce: Get the Recipe
Homemade Caramel Popcorn with Bacon: Get the Recipe
Marshmallow Brownies with Salted Almonds: Get the Recipe
For the shortbread:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
For the brownies:
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup miniature chocolate chips
Make the shortbread:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil then set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and the brown sugar then using your fingers or a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Stir in the miniature chocolate chips then press the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake the shortbread for 8 minutes then remove it from the oven. While the shortbread bakes, make the brownie batter.
Make the brownies:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Beat in the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth then stir in the miniature chocolate chips. Carefully spread the brownie mixture over the shortbread in the pan.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake the brownies for an additional 40 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven then let them cool completely in the pan. Using the foil, lift the brownies out of the pan and cut them into 24 pieces and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe adapted from Better Homes & Gardens.
Just wondering what you used to drizzle on the brownies and did you use coarse sea salt? Thank you.
Melted chocolate and a shower of large-flake sea salt!
I am really glad you put this up I remember DM’ing you a year back for this recipe and in the end having to wing it as BHG took it down.
I can confirm – hands down these brownies are the best.
So thrilled to hear this, Nainesh! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe! :)
I have always had a heart for chocolates and this recipe is definitely worth trying out! A best homemade pastry for my family and friends this coming Thanksgiving and Christmas! Thank you so much for sharing, Kelly! Keeping my fingers crossed this one will be a success on my end!
Looking forward to hearing your results, Elizabeth! Enjoy!
Not sure I trust myself around these. Will have to make them when the family is over!
Haha! Love this, Sue! I hope you and your family enjoy the bars :)
So nicely put together ! Sharing ….
Thanks so much!
Oh my sweet tooth! I’ll take one of each. Or two. Or three! Love love Just a Taste!
This is the perfect dessert for my husband and I. I am in love with chocolate. He is a fan of butter and shortbread. Nice work!
Holy awesome!! These look perfect!
This looks so so good!
So creative, Kelly! Pinned!