Slow cooker season is in full swing, and what better way to warm up than with a big ol’ bowl of chicken chili! This crowd-friendly favorite is perfect for chili winter nights (see what I did there?) and is the ultimate football-watching food. And because it’s made in a slow cooker, you can whip it up in minutes then let it cook low and slow for hours until you’re ready to dig in.
I’ve opted for ground chicken, but turkey works just as well. And if you’re feeling like a bit more flavor or fat, go big with ground beef. So pick your protein of choice and then cook it on the stovetop before adding it to your slow cooker with a slew of flavor-packed ingredients. Check out this lineup:
We’re talkin’ onions, pepper, chili beans, kidney beans, tomato paste, tons of spices and a single secret ingredient that makes the whole dish sing: cocoa powder!
Yes, indeed. Cocoa powder is my secret ingredient for truly crave-worthy chili. It lends a touch of sweetness while the subtle hint of chocolate brings together a melting pot (literally) of flavors. And of course no bowl of chicken chili is complete without all the fixins’, including a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced scallions. A tasty touchdown indeed!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Assorted toppings, such as sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced scallions
- Cook the ground ground chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through. Transfer the ground chicken into the slow cooker.
- To the chicken, add the onion, pepper, garlic, kidney beans, pinto beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, unsweetened cocoa powder, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, oregano, and chili powder. Stir everything together, and then add the chicken broth to the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook the chili on LOW for 8 hours, or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Serve the chili with assorted toppings.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.