Slow cooker season is in full swing, and what better way to warm up than with a big ol’ bowl of chicken chili! This crowd-friendly favorite is perfect for chili winter nights (see what I did there?) and is the ultimate football-watching food. And because it’s made in a slow cooker, you can whip it up in minutes then let it cook low and slow for hours until you’re ready to dig in.
I’ve opted for ground chicken, but turkey works just as well. And if you’re feeling like a bit more flavor or fat, go big with ground beef. So pick your protein of choice and then cook it on the stovetop before adding it to your slow cooker with a slew of flavor-packed ingredients. Check out this lineup:
We’re talkin’ onions, pepper, chili beans, kidney beans, tomato paste, tons of spices and a single secret ingredient that makes the whole dish sing: cocoa powder!
Yes, indeed. Cocoa powder is my secret ingredient for truly crave-worthy chili. It lends a touch of sweetness while the subtle hint of chocolate brings together a melting pot (literally) of flavors. And of course no bowl of chicken chili is complete without all the fixins’, including a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced scallions. A tasty touchdown indeed!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Assorted toppings, such as sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced scallions
- Cook the ground ground chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through. Transfer the ground chicken into the slow cooker.
- To the chicken, add the onion, pepper, garlic, kidney beans, pinto beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, unsweetened cocoa powder, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, oregano, and chili powder. Stir everything together, and then add the chicken broth to the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook the chili on LOW for 8 hours, or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Serve the chili with assorted toppings.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
Good recipe, but is 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder a misprint? I had to add a lot more (about 6 Tablespoons) to give this recipe the proper chili flavor. The chili powder that I use does not contain any salt. I also added a little bit of balsamic vinegar.
Hi Robin – No it’s not a misprint! Feel free to add more as you like :)
Absolutely delicious with ground chicken! I leave out the peppers, tomato paste and coriander, but everything else is exactly as the recipe says. I’m not a spicy nor chili person and I love this recipe!
Love, love, love reading this! I’m so thrilled you enjoyed the recipe, Lori!
Delicious! My husband not a fan or turkey chilli but this recipe hit all the right notes. Perfect balance between healthy and tasty!!
I’m thrilled you enjoyed the recipe, Tanya!
Made it and loved it I did add some diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes and chick peas.
I’m thrilled you enjoyed the recipe, Stephen!
I only have half the chicken (1 pound). What would you suggest I add to make up for the other pound of chicken? Chickpeas? Lentils?
I’d load up on any other beans! I love kidney beans in chili :)
Fantastic! Hubby didn’t even know it was chicken instead of ground beef until I told him. I did leave out the green peppers for him, but this was the best chili I ever made and it was so easy. Thank you for this. It will be a star at Superbowl!
Woohoo! I’m so thrilled you and your husband enjoyed the recipe, Karen!
Wondering if I can use dark chocolate cocoa powder as this is all I have. Please advise. Looking forward to trying this tonight!
Absolutely! That will taste great.
Excellent! I modified it by adding Onion powder, Garlic powder, Thyme, Basil and Parsley. I’m not allowed to have beans.
Regardless of anything I did, however, the Cacao is the kicker! You’re right about it bringing all the flavors together, and it gives off a hanging aftertaste that isn’t bad at all.
This is being stapled to the fridge.
I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Mitch!
Can you make this on top of the stove? I plan to double the recipe, and I’m not sure if all the ingredients will fit in my 6qt crockpot
Hi Donna – Sure! You can follow the directions but add all of the ingredients to a large heavy-bottomed pot and cook it until the ingredients are warmed. One note: The longer it cooks, the more tender the veggies and the more flavorful the chili will be. :)
See More Comments