Fall doesn’t officially start until September 22, but all it takes is one quick glimpse at Pinterest to realize that equinoxes be damned, it’s pumpkin season, people. And if pumpkin recipes are already making the rounds, then it’s high time we dust off the ol’ slow cooker for what’s sure to be a crockpot classic in your home: Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken.
We all have those days when we’re craving something so rich and satisfying that we turn to the takeout menus and order up our guilty pleasure du jour (orange chicken or Mongolian beef, anyone?). We want something, anything that’s warm, comforting and, while it may come with excessive amounts of sauce, doesn’t come with any judgment.
But now you can skip the takeout menus and slow cook your way to tender shredded chicken breasts tossed in a sweet and tangy sauce made with honey, garlic and soy sauce. It’s just like getting takeout from the local Chinese restaurant, except rather than waiting on the delivery guy, your dinner is waiting on you. I believe Ina said it best, “How easy is that?”
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 3 large bone-in, skinless chicken breasts (2 ½ to 3 lbs total)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup blackberry jam
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- slow cooker
- Arrange the chicken breasts in the slow cooker so that they are not overlapping.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, blackberry jam, hoisin, olive oil, garlic, onion and crushed red pepper flakes, and then pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook the chicken on LOW for 4 to 5 hours until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken from the slow cooker (reserving the liquids) and place it on a cutting board. Remove the bones then use two forks to shred the chicken into smaller pieces. Place the shredded chicken in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cold water to make a slurry.
- Transfer the liquids from the slow cooker into a small saucepan set over medium-high heat and whisk in the slurry. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook it until it reduces and has thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken, tossing to combine. Serve the chicken topped with sliced scallions and sesame seeds.
- To make this dish kid-friendly, simply leave out the crushed red pepper flakes.
- Using bone-in chicken breasts, rather than boneless chicken breasts, is key to guaranteeing moist, tender shredded chicken.
- Depending on your preferences, you may want to pour only a portion of the sauce over the shredded chicken. Any leftover sauce can be served with other proteins or veggies.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.