Brownies In a Jar

Bread in a jar is so 2010. And cake in a jar? Hello 1908. But brownies in a jar? Now you’re speaking my language.

I figured that if bread, cake and even cookies can squeeze themselves into canning jars, then who’s to say that brownies can’t share in the confectionery claustrophobia?

This unique baking technique seems to be sweeping the food blogosphere. First it was “_____ On a Stick,” and now it’s “_____ In a Jar.” But by far the best part of baking anything in a jar is that there’s an excuse for an ice cream topper, which creates a swirl of creamy vanilla bean and fudgy chocolate, all in a convenient cup. I’d say that beats pickled anything.

The next big craze? I’d like to be the first to guess that “Frozen _____ In an Ice Cube Tray” is about to hit it big. I wish I was kidding. I do it to my pesto. Friends do it to their chicken stock. Dessert cubes are a natural progression.

Brownies In a Jar

Yield: 4-6 servings

Prep Time: 10 min

Cook Time: 30 min

Butter, for greasing jars
Your favorite brownie mix, homemade or a boxed mix
Vanilla ice cream, optional

Preheat the oven to 350ºF.

Thoroughly grease the inside of four clean canning jars with butter. Set aside.

Prepare the brownie batter per your recipe's instructions.

Pour the batter into each of the greased jars, filling them one-fourth full. Tap the jars lightly on the counter to release any air bubbles. Place the filled jars on a cookie sheet, arranged so that they are not touching each other.

Bake the jars for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

13 Responses to “Brownies In a Jar”

Carolyn Jung — April 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm

These are soooo adorable. Perfect for a spring dinner party. And it’s even eco-friendly. ;)

natalie (the sweets life) — April 25, 2011 at 6:40 pm

i need to find some jars so i can make these!

and you’re totally onto something with that dessert idea :)

Alexandra Rogers — May 1, 2011 at 4:10 am

These look so beautiful! Great idea.

SpruceTV — May 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Such a simple, elegant, and fun entertaining idea! Love the thought of using Mason/Ball jars. They’re relatively inexpensive, and give the recipe a rustic/chic look. Definitely making this recipe @ home!

Amelia from Z Tasty Life — May 24, 2011 at 3:17 am

bingo! we’re so totally thinking alike. I love Ball jars. I have made pate’ in them for appetizer. I use them as water glasses (with sliced cucumber). And I use them for dessert during picnics (see my mango-coconut custard trifle with lime syrup…in a jar: http://bit.ly/k4wH1p)

RaeJaeT — August 10, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Thank you so much, this is awesome. I’m going to make some right away for my husband!!!

Rachel — August 11, 2011 at 9:29 pm

if i seal them, how long will they be good???? I’d like to send my husband some. but shipping might take 2 to 3 weeks… please help!!!

jen — August 22, 2011 at 5:29 pm

rachel they will be good until the seal unseals itself and the top pops.

1. Pingback: The Best Brownies – Bites From Other Blogs