Skip the oil and get snacking with a quick and easy recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Wings that are crispy, crunchy and perfect for tossing with your sauce of choice.
Chicken wings have appeared in dozens of flavors around here, and nearly every single recipe is for baked rather than fried wings. My simple trick ensures extra-crispy skin with minimum effort and zero babysitting (looking at you, deep-fryer!). I love baked wings, but we all know my obsession with my favorite air fryer has led to countless creations this past year. Is it any surprise that extra-crunchy chicken wings were up next?
How to Make Wings In an Air Fryer
When it comes to using an air fryer to make chicken wings, your level of success (read: crispiness) comes down to three essential elements:
- Air fryer temperature
- Not overcrowding the air fryer basket
- The mid-way flip (ie. flipping the wings once at the cooking halfway mark)
Air Fryer Temperature for Chicken Wings
The ideal air fryer temperature for chicken wings is 400°F. Preheating the air fryer is critical because it jumpstarts the cooking process, ensuring the chicken wing skin will crisp up quickly and evenly. All in, your average size wings take just 20 minutes to cook.
All that’s left to do is decide your sauce of choice! Keep it classic with Buffalo sauce or get creative with a few of my favorite, sweet, tangy and perfectly-balanced chicken wing sauce recipes below…
chicken wing recipes
Savory, sweet, tangy and every sauce flavor in between!
- Air fryer
- 2 pounds chicken wings, drumettes and flats separated
- Cooking Spray
- Salt and pepper
- Sauce of choice (See Kelly’s Notes)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels then add them to a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Arrange a portion of the chicken wings in a single layer in the basket so that they aren’t touching. Air-fry the chicken wings for 20 minutes, flipping them once halfway through. Remove the wings to a large bowl then repeat the cooking process with the remaining wings. (The wings must reach an internal temperature of 165°F.)
- Add your sauce of choice to the bowl and toss to combine. Serve warm.
- Patting the wings dry with paper towels will ensure the skin gets extra-crispy.
- Any sauce works great on these wings, from classic Buffalo to teriyaki to orange chicken. Search for “chicken wings” for all of my sauce recipes.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Another Winner! Winner chicken dinner from you! Thanks for another great recipe!
You are so welcome! I’m thrilled you enjoyed the recipe!
I love my chicken this way I coat mine with Chinese honey and soy sauce. I used to use my slow cooker but now that I found how good the Air Fryers are I will not go back.
YESSSS! I’m so thrilled you’ve been enjoying the air fryer chicken wings, Craig!
These wings were so crispy! We tossed them in our favorite store-bought buffalo sauce but next time we’ll try your hoisin glaze. thanks for this awesome recipe!
I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Pat!