Step aside, 30-Minute Mongolian Beef. Take a seat, Pad Thai with Chicken. And move on out, Chicken Pot Stickers. There is a new takeout-fakeout favorite in town and it goes by the name of Baked Orange Chicken. I repeat, Baked Orange Chicken.
As in, no deep-frying. No standing over a cauldron of hot oil. No messy cleanup. And best of all, no greasy Chinese takeout food hangover!
This easy orange chicken recipe stars homemade chicken nuggets that are baked until golden brown and crispy and then tossed in a DIY orange chicken sauce. It’s homemade takeout food at its finest, and it begins by coating chicken breast pieces in crunchy Panko breadcrumbs.
Pop the chicken nuggets into the oven and grab your sauce ingredients, which includes fresh garlic and ginger that’s simmered in a sweet and tangy blend of orange marmalade, soy sauce and hoisin sauce.
All that’s left to do is toss the chicken in the sauce and serve it alongside your choice of fried rice, noodles or veggies for the ultimate takeout-inspired meal whipped up in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the chicken:
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups Panko breadcrumbs
For the sauce:
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 cups orange marmalade
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Make the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease it with cooking spray.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the flour to a sealable plastic bag then add the chicken and seal the bag. Shake the bag until the chicken is coated all over.
- Add the eggs to a shallow dish and whisk them until combined. Add the breadcrumbs to a second shallow dish. Remove each piece of chicken from the bag, shake off any excess flour, then dip it in the eggs then breadcrumbs and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat the coating process with all of the chicken pieces and arrange them in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the chicken pieces for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping them once halfway through, until they are golden brown and fully cooked. While chicken bakes, make the sauce.
Make the sauce:
- Add the sesame oil and olive oil to a small saucepot set over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes until golden brown. Add the hoisin sauce, orange marmalade, soy sauce and crushed red pepper flakes (optional), and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the oven and transfer them to a large bowl. Add the sauce to the bowl and toss until combined. Serve immediately.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.